Aluminium Boats and Road Salt

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Aluminium Boats and Road Salt

Post by Legend »

:) A question for you good folks.

If you trailer your aluminium boat in the winter months, what impact if any will the road salt have on your boat? In particular, will exposure to the salty dust lead to long term hull corrosion?

I had a motorcycle once that had an aluminium engine casting (air cooled) I drove it year-round and the corrosion was brutal.

Just wondering...

:) Legend
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

:D :D

I'm thinking that, .....as long as it's not "bare" aluminum,
....the paint should supply some protection against corrosion, ...... :wink:
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

I think Skooter's right in that the paint will provide some protection.

I was always more concerned with the trailer after Quinte trips due to the salt on the ramp, that's why I would always hose both down good after "snowy" trips. Won't be happening this year as she's put to bed already :!:
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

I might suggest you wash off your boat by putting it in the water. And while you're there, you might as well go fishing. :D

MT
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Legend,

It is no different then using the boat and trailer in salt water. You have to wash it down after every use, I also flush the motor to make sure no road salt is in the lower unit water intakes. I find the trailer gets the worst of the road salt because it is hard to wash out all of the areas on the trailer.

Cheers'

-Sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
roughrider
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by roughrider »

I might add,you need to soap off the calcium crap they use on the roads,after last weekend, I should know. What a mess :roll: Thanks Sheldon,I think I need to hook up the ear muffs and rinse her good.

roughrider out
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Legend cast aluminium will corrode due to surface pourosity. Boats are made of sheet and I would suspect closer to an aircraft quality. I knew a guy in town with an aluminium sided moving van that he would literally coat with a soft floor wax each fall then high pressure wash it off in the spring, don't know how well it worked but 30 yrs later his son is still driving it :wink:
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

fishforfun wrote:Legend cast aluminium will corrode due to surface pourosity. Boats are made of sheet and I would suspect closer to an aircraft quality. :wink:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Well, ....if that's the case,
.....and after hearing about John's boat....... :roll:

I'm keepin' my feet, ..."firmly planted", ....on the ground :!: :!: :lol: :wink: