park my boat,,,,,,

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

park my boat,,,,,,

Post by joco »

so i put my boat to rest today,in the barn.for the next 5 months or so,,, :(

change my oil,,,,like i do everyyear,,,,its a bit milkey,,,,but its always been like that,,,,((but not that bad,,,,i think :roll: )

one question,,,,,there 2plug for drain the oil,,,,,,the one on top there a little ruber o-ring,,,but the one down dont have any,,,,is there supose to have one,,,? and if yes mabe there goes my place where water get in,,,if not,,,,,,,,,mabe some gasket .... :? ....

but in spring,,,,,,,,i do change chake the oil again,,,,,change my spark plugs,,,,,,grease all the motor,and stearing componut,,,,and do my bearing on the trailer,,,,,

but next spring,,,i will upgrade for syntetic oil for everything,,,and syntetic grease,,,,to........ :wink:

never did put anything in the carburator,,,for winter,,,should i put some oil,,,i do for my ski-doo,,,, :?

joco
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

I would fog the engine in some way. Get a can of fogging spray from CT, pull the spark plugs and spray some in. Then, if you can, turn the motor a couple of times (don't start it), and do it again.

If you did not put fuel stabilizer in the gas, then I would suggest you drain your carbs.

Like you, I sometimes wonder if my oil is milky when I check it in the fall. I find it usually looks a little brown, but think that is from stirring it up when I'm running the motor to fog it.
If you are not sure what bad oil looks like ... find the picture Crash posted on page 8 of Skooter's project.
And, as you say, pick up a couple of those seals in the spring when you change the lower unit oil again.

M.T. Livewell
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

BTW, not trying to pick on ya Crash, but this is a great sample of what oil looks like when seals go bad.

MT
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Joco I know that my Merc I changed the oil every fall and this year I tought that I had no O-ring on the bottom plug but it had stayed on the the lower unit when I removed it. But my oil is not exactly like it was when I put it in but there was no water in it.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again