opinions on bassboats

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Coop
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

opinions on bassboats

Post by Coop »

I've already posted this in a different section, but it was suggested that it's be better if I posted this here.

I'm looking to get my first bass boat (right now I am just in the research stage) and thought I'd like to hear some opinions of guys who have been there.

I'm looking for something around 17 feet with 115-150 hp. The boat has to be in the $14,000 to $19,000 range. I'll be towing the boat with a jeep cherokee sport with an inline (4.0 litre) 6. I am narrowing my search to the following lines:

Ranger (probably used, wouldn't we all love a new ranger?)
Triton (another great boat, good value, and rated high for foul weather performance)
Stratos (decent quality at a great price, stable, basically a poor man's ranger)

What are your opinions on these and other models?

Other questions:

Would you buy used? Why or why not?
What's everyone's opinon regarding the Evinrude Etecs?

Thanks all.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Coop, those are great questions.
And sounds like you've narrowed your search to some well known, quality machine.

With that said, buy the biggest boat and motor you can afford. If you'll let yourself buy used, even better. 20' with 225 sounds scary to most, but the nice thing is you don't have to drive it 75mph unless you want to. And, when you want to, you don't have to buy another boat.

Sadly, the best resources that was on FH to talk bass boats has been excused from this site. :roll:
Now, I typically don't like to point folks away from here, but check out http://www.bassboatcentral.com/. You may get the Ford vs Chevy debate based on your brand selection, but you'll get some honest to goodness experienced advice.

Would I buy used ... yes for 2 reasons.
1) A gently used boat (ha ha ha, no such thing in a bassboat), will depreciate very quickly. If you aren't hell bent on that "new car smell", you'll save yourself a ton.
2) I can't afford a new boat. If could, I probably would. But I can't, so now I have to go to the store and buy more lottery tickets.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on and why.

M.T. Livewell
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

M.T. I'll mildly disagree with your opinion of buying a large boat. Start off with a 16' or 17' boat, learn how to run it as well as the rules of the river, then, after a couple of years if you still yearn for the big one go for it. As you said, if you are running a 225, you don't have to use all the horses, but human nature dictates that we will. My first boat was a 16 1/2' with a 90 on the back, and I can attest to the number of mistakes I made running that. Adding another 135 horse would have multiplied the problems tenfold

As to the boat itself, there are any number of sites out there. Any of the major brands make a quality product any more. The search itself is as much fun as the purchase.

Good luck.

Ed
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

Dont know if im much help, but I thought I would share some of my experiences on this topic....

I just bought my first bassboat this past winter and am I ever glad that i did.... I got a 17ft astro 17scx with a 115hp merc... She does about 52mph without any other lads in my boat,...

Firstly, you can get some amazing deals!! for my rig, I paid just about 8000 Canadian after taxes, import fees etc.... wicked deal if you ask me...

This was my first bassboat and ive learnt so much this year, and know I still have so much more to learn... Get a boat/motor size you are comfortable with.. Ed is right unfortunately, even though you can throttle down, human nature makes you do it, beleive me, look at my gas bill this summer, I never throttled down :) Heck I talked to a guy at a launch this year and he was to scared to even open his boat up over half throttle, why pay for the extra hp if you wont use it.

Buy a boat you like and are comfortable with and learn the ways and upgrade in the future when the time is right and you are ready!

Mine was used, and she was in amazing condition, I would buy used anytime!! you save a lot of cash, and as long as you put your research into the boat, and get the motor tested and its ok, youll walk away with a steal....

Buying a boat from the states can be a bit tricky... truly wicked deals, but getting it across the border can be tricky if things arent 100% right..... if you do buy a boat in the states pm me and ill help you out..... I never want anyone to go through what I did! If everything is ok, it is not a problem at all!

I just saw a 1999 ranger cherokee 17ft I beleive with a 90hp in the states for 9000$, good deal....

I dont know anythign about Evinrudes other than Nightroller's ranger has one on, and boy does she move and purr nicely.!!

Shoot me a pm if you have any other questions!
furious
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by furious »

First the Evinrude E-Tec is an incredible outboard. My next boat will have one.

If the boat you are interested in has a used motor, take it to your mechanic. Get the compression tested, etc. If it is a newer DFI model and has a computer see if the engine can be read for error codes and failures as well.

As far as getting a used boat, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used boat if it was in good condition. Really check a used boat over. Look for stress cracks around the consoles, transom, splashwell and around the cockpit. Another spot for cracking is between the consoles if there is a step up to the front deck. Just about every fibreglass boat will have small stress cracks. No matter what anyone tells you, some gel coat cracking is normal. If you can stick a dime into the cracks however, you will want to think twice about that boat.

How big your boat should be is probably the biggest decision you will make. You have 3 good brands chosen and a great motor. But how big should it be? How big is the water you are going to be fishing? If you are planning on fishing Simcoe, Erie and Lake Ontario for example, than 18 feet is the smallest you should look at. Realize that with an 18 footer you will have to pick your days on big water. If you are fishing smaller water, or water you can hide out of the wind for the most part, 16 - 17 feet is fine.

In my opinion, you should get the biggest boat you can afford. It is safer and you will appreciate it believe me. Your Jeep should tow an 18 footer no problem.