Think I did it now....Couple of odds & ends.....

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

:D :D :D

I love Friday afternoons, ....it's the only time that's really mine anymore, :cry: :cry:

Of course, :roll: .
...I went to work on the bilge pump today, ..... :D

Everything appears to be here.......

For obvious reasons, ... I decided to do as much as I could inside,
...before heading out for the actual "installation"...... :D

The first step was installing the new pump on the existing base....

It fit, ....not to bad, ........considering :roll:

I used rivets, ....basically, .....cause they came with the rivet gun......

The next step, ...attach the hose........

Darn!!!, .......needed some soap here, ...she was a "tighty" :D

I put connectors on the wires, ...and I'm ready to head out to the boat...

(I'll explain the fitting on the hose in a bit .....)

With the impending weather report earlier, ....I put "skooter" under cover during the week...

It's a little "snug" inside, .....but with the wind now a "nonfactor", .....it's not too bad........ :D

This outlet I put in helps, ...for lights, tools, or if I want to charge the battery...

Everything is moved out of the way, ....and I'm ready to start.... :D

The worst problem was trying to route the hose, .....man they get stiff in the cold...... :twisted:

It's "sort of" in position now, ......ready to screw it down, ....
(maybe "down" is the wrong word, ............how about, ....."in", "yeah"....that'll work)

Okay, ....it's "in" :D

Now to hook up the hose to the outlet,....... :?

After a few words of "carnal" wisdom, ...she's done.... :D

Don't think this pic wasn't fun to get...... :roll:

For your perspective, ...up is sideways, ....sideways is down,
Down is, ..........somewhere, .....and I hit my head on the damn transom deck, ....... when I sat up.....
:twisted:

Okay, ...on to the wiring......just a matter of stapling them up out of the way, .....that big orange thingy on the one wire, ....told me that I need a new switch, ...if I want to overide the automatic function in the pump, ....I may do that in the spring......

Installation complete, ......spare gas tank back in place....

Battery is back, .....for now
(I really need to fix that spagetti mess one of these days)
Stupid hat fell off again too.....
:roll:

Back inside, ....seems I have some parts left over...
:shock:

Actually, ...I really liked Markus's idea, ....of having a spare pump aboard.... :wink:

I took my old pump apart, ...cleaned 'er up, ...and I'll use that as my spare.....

Hose wasn't a problem, ....cause I had to buy 10 ft. of it anyways.... :roll:
And I found a couple of clips and wire, ...in the shed :D

Wiring is done....

So the hose is on, ....

Oh yeah, ...that's the reason for the fitting on the main line.....
It's just a standard 3/4" male garden hose coupling......

I just unscrew the black cap on the main line and screw in the female connector on the temp, ......attach the wires to the battery, ...and I'm in business..........I HOPE!!!!

All done, .. :!: :!: :!:

And, ....it'll fit nicely in the front storage compartment...

Well, ...both "skooters" are in limbo right now,
...."skooter skooter" is as ready for the "bar" as I can make "her"?, :? ....."him"?, :? ....whatever.... :lol:

The "other" skooter needs to go fishing, ................soon! :roll: :D :lol: :wink:

skooter, ...."other or wise" :lol: :wink:
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

I really liked his idea of the spare too...Think I'll have to fashion one of those babies..
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

:D :D :D :D

I've been going in on Saturdays for a bit, ....to make up for "Christmas" hours... :( :roll:

Planned on doing a little gov't work this weekend, ...after I was finished... :D

I've done some work on my hatch covers, .....but hadn't as yet, ..put my new handles on.... :roll:

I decided I may as well utilize some of the equipment we have layin around at work... :D :wink:

This is a "milling" machine...... :?

Just think of it as a ...."humongous" router, :shock:
....with a lot more dials and wheels, :?
......and a "lot" bigger motor, .....aurgh, ...aurgh, ....aurgh,....Image :lol:

Everything is "tied" down and I make my first cut..... :D

To all the machinists out there, .....Yeah, I know it's a face mill, ...but it's only cedar...... :P

See, ...it works good.... :D

Done cutting now, ......

and fits snug as a bug in a rug... :wink:

Now it's coffee time, ....as I set up the smaller cover... :lol:

A few minutes later.....and there's another little project out of the way..... :D :D :D

Well, ....I got a fishing date to keep so I'm outta here..... 8)

Last pic.....
....this is my usual little baby, ...to "have", ...and to "hold", ...till "Friday's" do us part....... :roll: :lol: :lol:

skooter...... :wink:
Mikey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mikey »

Many years ago I used to write the programs for those babies Skooter...technical planner in the hardaware develoment department in my younger days....ahh the good ol days hehehe!! :wink:
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

Mikey wrote:Many years ago I used to write the programs for those babies Skooter...technical planner in the hardaware develoment department in my younger days....ahh the good ol days hehehe!! :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, ...I've been doin' it for longer than I care to remember too..... :wink:
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Certainly beats a hammer and a chisel!

Looking Skoot.

MT
BLR
Participant
Participant

very interesting

Post by BLR »

great post, I am in the process of doing the same thing to two boats.
I have a 84 grumman centre console stripped down with the console out and completely dis-assembled, the floor is out and the side carpets cleats etc, all removed. Just the bare shell left. The aluminum has been stripped of all paint and I think that was the hardest job of all.
Unfortunately gotta wait for spring now to put things back together.
Also have an 18' Starcraft that needs a new floor and carpet, guess that'll be a summer project, so I can use it while getting the Grumman ready.

Your articles and pictures are great and informative,,,,,,,keep up the good work.

Thanks

Brian
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: very interesting

Post by skooter »

pickerel wrote:great post, I am in the process of doing the same thing to two boats.
I have a 84 grumman centre console stripped down with the console out and completely dis-assembled, the floor is out and the side carpets cleats etc, all removed. Just the bare shell left. The aluminum has been stripped of all paint and I think that was the hardest job of all.
Unfortunately gotta wait for spring now to put things back together.
Also have an 18' Starcraft that needs a new floor and carpet, guess that'll be a summer project, so I can use it while getting the Grumman ready.

Your articles and pictures are great and informative,,,,,,,keep up the good work.

Thanks

Brian

Hey, ...nice to meet ya, pikerel.... :D

Glad I could be of help, ......yeah, ...a bunch more stuff to do when it warms up a bit, ...and I get off my leash.... :lol:

Good luck with your project, .....er, ....project(s) :wink:
mikemicropterus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Just a suggestion

Post by mikemicropterus »

Skooter the job looks real nice and it takes alot of time but in the end you get a unique boat. I have put decks, floors, livewells, consoles you name it. Had to do warranty work on some Legends awhile back that entailed the whole disassembly of the boat. I've re&red the entire floor, wiring and made new boxes for storage etc on Smokercraft. Fixed broken transoms on Crestliners, re-inforced front decks on Princecraft, lots of leaks in all but Crestliner hard to loosen a rivet on them. I put a flipping deck on my 14ft fisherman and put a 54lb thrust trolling motor and with the modifications done to the motor two peole and all our stuff and I still get 20mph. It has two 27 series dc batteries, anchor, lights,etc. Its no pussy. 9.9 that pushes 25hp.
Anyway I had a thought on your wiring. You might consider using some marine grade haet shrink tubing to protect the conections. As well to clean up the wiring you might consider a fuse panel under the dash fro all your accessories. etc graph, lights, bilge, it would clean up the back and make it far easier to add stuff or find problems.
I have been doing this for some time now and the single most problem that arises in boats is poorly connected or loose battery cables, corroded terminals and to many connections at the battery.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Read my Blogs on http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/auth ... rstorm-ca/

Listen to Podcasts on http://www.spreaker.com/show/lanark_county_confidential
BLR
Participant
Participant

Post by BLR »

thanks for the reply skooter, lookin forward to runnin in to ya on the water.......figureatively of course lol........I'm gonna do the starcraft first as it's closest to getting on the water, in fact i can use it the way it is and do my stuff as I go along.

Take care, catch ya later

brian
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

Thanks for the input pickerel :!:

Yeah, .....the fuse block thing has been on my agenda for awhile now, ....I've got a new "finder" to install shortly, ....and I may put a block in then, ....depending on time constraints, ......(fishing fever) :lol:

I fished Credit a couple times last year, .....so if you're out riggin' for 'nooks, ......chances are good you"ll "catch" me, (yeah, ...much better than "run into") :lol:

See ya on the water...... :wink:

skooter.....