trickle charging for a trolling motor

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
Raminator
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: trickle charging for a trolling motor

Post by Raminator »

Most trolling batteries ,27/31 group,should be charged at 10-15 amps, not 2 amp trickle,
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

Not charged, but maintained once it is fully charged. I read that a battery loses about 1% of its charge per day.
...anything to bend the rod
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by plowjock »

Hit the batteries with a minimum 10 amp charge when you first get home.
A good charger, like the Minn Kota 3 bank or Noco Genius 3 bank, load up the batteries then go to float mode similar to a trickle charger, to just maintain after the first big charge up. Don't skimp on a charger or you'll be spending many dollars more often changing batteries. Do yourself a favour and set a routine maintenance scheduleprogram. First of every month, check batteries, fluid levels, tire pressures.
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bostonwhaler »

Raminator wrote:Most trolling batteries ,27/31 group,should be charged at 10-15 amps, not 2 amp trickle,

this is the first time I have ever heard that. Would be a pretty big solar system to have it charge at 10-15 amps. I thought deep cycle batteries were designed to be slow charged and slow drawn.

Anybody else hear that they should be charged at 10-15 amps
seems fishy to me
Hollywood catches more perch than me
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I don't think I have ever heard that specifically but I do not beleive it hurts anything otherwise we wouldn't have the minn kota 345 smart chargers. Trickle charging at 2 amps would take forever so I wouldn't even think of it for my Boat batteries.

I do not beleive there is a limit to how fast or slow you charge a battery (2 amps vs 15 amps) provided you are using the right charger to do it. In you other post about your batteries dying, I commented on the fact that you may not be charging them long enough @ 2 amps. A 15 amp charger would just get the job done quicker provided it was set up to handle deep cycle batteries which the MinnKota chargers are.

In the end, I beleive it all comes down to the charger. I run a MK330 (3 bank 10 amps per bank) with no issues whatsoever and my cranking battery is over 7 years old (it is being replaced at the beginning of next seeason to be safe).
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bostonwhaler »

I was always told that if you charge a deep cycle to fast it will cook the plates, that is one of the reasons why we don't hook them to our main motor
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Honestly,

I haven't a clue about hooking up a deep cycle to motor but I can provide what I have read off if minnkota's website is the following.

For use with 12 volt system with 12V / 6-cell batteries that are Flooded lead acid, Maintenance Free, Starved Electrolyte (AGM/HP AGM) or Gel only (60-180 amp hour rating)

I know that some of the older chargers had a battery type selector but the newer ones all seem to be good for all types. Like I have said befor, I have an mk330 and I just hook it up after every trip out and unplug it the next day.
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bostonwhaler »

I don't want to steal this thread. But I'm pretty sure you are supposed. To give deep cell batteries a long slow charge. I would never charge it at 10
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

bostonwhaler wrote:I was always told that if you charge a deep cycle to fast it will cook the plates, that is one of the reasons why we don't hook them to our main motor

Actually http://www.StaynCharge.com , hooks up all your batteries to the main motor or even your tow vehicle