Motor Pulling to One Side - Any Advice?

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Motor Pulling to One Side - Any Advice?

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hello All,

Have had this problem for a long time, and over the years have somehow accepted it, but after heading out yesterday (and feeling the pain in my arm!), I think it's time it got fixed.

I have a 1989 20HP Johnson tiller. While motoring, the outboard "pulls" to the right side. So, during operation, I have to "strong arm" it to keep it straight, causing for a sore arm after any extended trip. Unless it is going at it's slowest speed (and I take my arm off the throttle) it will stay in a straight line. Anything higher and it just swings over to the right side. Weird, as moving the motor left or right seems to have the same resistance and to the left doesn't feel any "slacker" than shifting it to the right...

I've searched for something to tighten, etc., but have come up empty handed thus far. Any advice? Simple fix?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Good Fishing,

Justin
Last edited by JustinHoffman on Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Hoffman
Field Editor - Ontario Out of Doors Magazine
Fishing Writer / Wildlife Photographer
www.JustinHoffmanOutdoors.com
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

yeah... there's a very simple fix.... there is an adjustable "fin" (don't know what its called) right above the prop... usually all that's needed is a 1/2" socket to loosen the bolt that holds it, you adjust the fin in the direction to compensate the direction its pulling, re-tighten the bolt and away you go.... its that simple... I am sure that if you googled it... you could likely get lots of pictures of just how to do it.
"I wonder if other dogs think poodles
are members of a weird religious cult."
-- Rita Rudner
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

exactly right, if its pulling left adjust the trim tab to the left
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Thanks, guys - much appreciated....

Just went outside and had a look at the motor. What I see is a lead-coloured fixture that sits horizontally on the right side on the plate directly above the prop. It is approximately 1" by 1/2" and has two bolts holding it from the underside. I assume this is it?

Cheers,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Mark it before you start, this will give you a reference or starting point. Some times when you try to loosen off the bolt it "cracks" loose and things move that you don't want to move.

Small adjustments are big adjustments in that department.

Good luck,
DS
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
Terry_F
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Terry_F »

JustinHoffman wrote:Thanks, guys - much appreciated....

Just went outside and had a look at the motor. What I see is a lead-coloured fixture that sits horizontally on the right side on the plate directly above the prop. It is approximately 1" by 1/2" and has two bolts holding it from the underside. I assume this is it?

Cheers,

Justin
Justin
You have been given great advice here, also fyi that lead coloured piece is a sacrificial anode to reduce corrosion as well as a trim tab.
http://gulffishing.com/tips_anode.html
99 Princecraft 176
98 115 Johnson Ficht
VHF Call terry f 316014005
NPAA 537
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Thanks, Terry - had a feeling that it was an anode protector of some sort, but since it didn't have a "keel" on it, had no idea it had anything to do with steering and trim...since it is only raised approx. 1/2 inch.

Will let you know how I make out.

Thanks again, all... :lol:

Cheers,

Justin
Justin Hoffman
plncrzy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by plncrzy »

JustinHoffman wrote: but since it didn't have a "keel" on it, had no idea it had anything to do with steering and trim...since it is only raised approx. 1/2 inch.
Justin
UHH... NO KEEL? :shock: does it look like it was ground down? ... there should be a keel on this, that's what trims the motor so that you don't get "pull"
"I wonder if other dogs think poodles
are members of a weird religious cult."
-- Rita Rudner
Terry_F
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Terry_F »

Justin

I suspect that what you have on your motor is an anode only and not a trim tab at all.
On some outboards this is combined.

The anode / trim tab is normally circular, with a fin and a single bolt allowing it to be rotated to achieve the trim or direct the water flow from the prop.
An anode only is usually a rectangular shape with two bolts, it is oftem machined to have fins to increase the surface area, but may not be located anywhere near the prop.
You should still have a device to adjust or trim the motor though.
If you can give us make and model number I can try and look something up for you.
99 Princecraft 176
98 115 Johnson Ficht
VHF Call terry f 316014005
NPAA 537
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by spinner »

part # 39 is what you are looking for if it's adjustable on your motor

http://www.iboats.com/Johnson-20-25-30- ... _id.272925
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Is your motor pulling when you are on plane?? I was told that if it is, it is not that little fin over the prop. cause that fin doesn't touch the water when you are on plane. The way I fixed the pulling on mine was that I got the motor installed at the right height. Cavitation plate level with bottom of the boat. Now when I am trimmed out I can let go the steering and it'll stay in a straight line.
Last edited by Wallyboss on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Wallyboss wrote:Is your motor pulling when you are on plane?? I was told that if you are it is not that little fin over the prop. cause that fin doesn't touch the water when you are on plane. The way I fixed the pulling on mine was that I got the motor installed at the right height. Cavitation plate level with bottom of the boat.
Circle gets a square!

Ding ding ding... Walleye Boss is the Winnah!

Craig
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

I'll take Charo to Block
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

ChampionNorm wrote:I'll take Charo to Block
Paul Lynde for the win!

(Thanks Norm, it's nice when someone catches my little oddities!)

Craig