High speed transducer problems

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
msdumo
Participant
Participant

High speed transducer problems

Post by msdumo »

Just bought a new Tracker Pro 16 and loose the transducer signal at mid speed.

I checked the position and it was much too low. Almost an inch below the transom. I made a bracket and was able to adjust it up to the proper level according to the manual but still had problems.

This is a welded boat and there is a large weld seam at the transom edge that may be causing a lot of turbulence around the transducer.

I'm going to file this area flat or level with the bottom of the hull and will then polish with 2000 grit wet sand paper.

Any suggestions?
Seabass81
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Seabass81 »

All transducers I have had on the transom have had that problem . Now with a glass boat and transducer shooting through the hull it is not an issue .

John
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Every tinny I owned had the same problem. It could be the low end unit they put on the boat dosen't have enough power, could be the motor is not the right height (cavatation plate too low or high) causing disturbance. It could be mounted too close to the motor or in an area without a smooth flow......Frankly I gave up!! :lol:

Sorry I wasn't more help.
solar
Participant
Participant

Post by solar »

I feel very fortunate for having the assistance of a long-time friend who is a veteran fisherman and mechanic. He has put a number of transducers on boats over the years. I wired the transducer cable and after setting the bracket over 15" away from the prop, and away from any hull structure, I measured the hull angle with a plumb bob to get the hull angle. Based upon the hull angle, I set the transducer bracket arm at the indication for that hull angle. My friend took a look at the set up, drilled out the holes and upon attaching the transducer, and changed the transducer to be perfectly level with the bottom of the hull, making a few minor adjustments.

We ran the boat the other day, and even with the motor wide open at 24 knots, there was no loss of signal at any speed, for what its worth.

Hopefully, this holds up over time.

Best,

Chris
Terry_F
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Terry_F »

An interesting question, but first you need to consider the transducer and electronics in use because they are not all made equal.
I used to run a Lowrance X67C (factory install) on my boat and it worked great for trolling, but was useless over 10 - 15 MPH.
When I upgraded to a LCX110C, it maintains lock at 40 MPH and I can even detect bait balls at that speed.

The difference is the power, the Sonar Output Power on the X67C is 800W the Sonar Output Power on the LCX110C is 8,000W.

Correct mounting is an important part, but the right unit for the right task is more important.
99 Princecraft 176
98 115 Johnson Ficht
VHF Call terry f 316014005
NPAA 537
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

I had the same probelm with mine

I cranked up the sensitivity and now she works at all speeds
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

To check if it was installed at the right place or if you need to know where the best place to install it is. You bring a friend with you and he needs to be able to look at where the water comes out from under the boat the smoothest when you are are going at cruising speed, mark where it is and that is where you should install the transducer. Alot of those transducers are installed without the boat even going into m the water first.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
msdumo
Participant
Participant

Post by msdumo »

I cleaned and polished the weld on the transom edge where the transducer is located and will test it out tomorrow, the opener for Zone 15.

I'll try to max out sensitivity and make fine adjustment.

If all else fails, I'll hang over the transom and will take a look for the sweet spot (smooth water with no bubbles) if there is one.

Thanks guys!