Humminbird Si or Lowrance LCX 27C

Anything and everything related to boating, motors, and electronic equipment. Find out the answers to your questions here.
misterminnow
Participant
Participant

Humminbird Si or Lowrance LCX 27C

Post by misterminnow »

I'd asked my wife for a Lowrance GPS/Sonar for x-mas and she got too overwhelmed by the technology and didn't want to get the wrong thing... she got me a (Just go and get what you need and leave me out of it!) COOL!

So, I started looking around and came upon the new Side Imaging technology from Hummingbird. Looks too good to be true. Does anybody have any input? Used it? Heard of it?... Anything :?

Would you still go Lowrance?

mm
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

If you have WFN, Dave Mercer talks about it in his show. Might want to check that out :wink:
misterminnow
Participant
Participant

Post by misterminnow »

I've been asking videotron to get it but they still don't offer the station!!!!
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

MM: I sell both in my store, but have pulled the Lowrance off my boat and installed Humminbird, with one of them being a si unit on the console. Now, before some Lowrance fans get their knickers in a knot, they are both excellent units with high definition displays and, with the addition of the Navionics cards incredible readouts. What swayed me personaly to Humminbird , other than the side imaging technology was ease of use. Being a techno-palegic (hey!!! new word), i was often frustrated trying to navigate around the Lowrance's menu, whereas the Humminbird is extremely user friendly. As well, the side imaging technology is an incredible tool that can be used no matter what secies you target.

If I was doing it again, the side imaging would be going back on the boat.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Luke
Participant
Participant

Post by Luke »

I have the Hummingbird 997SI on my boat. As the above post mentioned it is easy to use, and the side imaging is a good feature. I found the side imaging very usefull in deeper water. I did however have some reliability issues with it. I had problems with it freezing up, and had problems with the SD card reader slots. It would sometimes not read the Navionics chip. The transducer is quite large, and I loose signal at about 20-25mph. Thinking that my transducer may be mounted incorrectly I called hummingbird about the signal loss at high speed and they said that's the way it is. (Has anybody else experienced this?). I really like the Side Imaging feature but I was a bit frustrated by the other problems I had. Hummingbird has been good about resolving any issues so far though.
David Chong
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by David Chong »

I've had a Humminbird SI unit for 3 years now and wouldn't have a boat without one. It is amazing, the detail that you can get from it. I've found rock piles and structure in areas that I had fished previously but had no clue that they were there. Your SI transducer is only meant to be used at slow speeds. If you wish to use the sonar while running, you need to install a different transducer in hull and have a switch which will allow you to go back & forth from either transducer.
Cheers,
Dave
misterminnow
Participant
Participant

Post by misterminnow »

Thanks guys,

I'll start shopping for one. But man are they ever expensive! :x
fisher
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fisher »

David Chong wrote:I've had a Humminbird SI unit for 3 years now and wouldn't have a boat without one. It is amazing, the detail that you can get from it. I've found rock piles and structure in areas that I had fished previously but had no clue that they were there. Your SI transducer is only meant to be used at slow speeds. If you wish to use the sonar while running, you need to install a different transducer in hull and have a switch which will allow you to go back & forth from either transducer.
Cheers,
Dave
Thanks for pointing that out Dave, I did not know that you actually need two transducers to fully utilize the side image AND sonar features.
does the unit come with both transducers??
acuteangler
Participant
Participant

SI Technology

Post by acuteangler »

I had a Lowrance LCX112 and found it too difficult to navigate the menu layers. I also lost bottom above 25mph. I replaced it with an Humminbird 997c. I love the ease of use of menu system, the quality of the graphics, I never lose bottom and the side image is great it is one of those things that you just have to use to get comfortable with. The Humminbird web-page has good information about SI. I bought both my unit new on Ebay and saved 100s of dollars. I sold my Lowrance for several 100 dollars than I paid. Hope this helps.

AA
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

I have used the Lowrance units for many years and most of the units in the past 3 or 4 years work excellent right out of the box without touching a single menu. Can't comment on Side Imaging technology as I have enough challenges interpreting what a single cone sonar returns to the screen.:wink:

I am sure board members like David Chong and Ed can offer some excellent hands on observations.

-sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Fishquest
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishquest »

I have been using the Lowrance LCX 25c for a bit now and have no complaints. I never lose bottom with my boat which only hits a little over 30 mph. I think losing bottom has more to do with transducer location. Finding the cleanest path for trnasducer will produce the best screen. As for navigating around the machine I got my unit all setup and really don't change much often since then.

I can't offer any opinion on the Hummingbirds as I don't use them but they do look interesting, especially with the side sonar pics.

I'm sure either will do you good if you set it up right.
RandyLinden
Participant
Participant

Post by RandyLinden »

Most loss of bottom problems are a result of either poor location or wrong position of the transducer on the transom. It is rare that the problem is due to the sonar head unit be it a Lowrance or other brand. The biggest challenge is with aluminium boats and getting the transducer to operate properly. Chines, runners, strakes, keels, and rivets all can cause a disturbance of the water passing over the face of the transducer. Keep in mind just a simple bubble will already interfere with the transducer. Finding the right location on the boat is critical for best performance. Many boats sit stern down and bow up, when the transducer is mounted square to the transom it is actually shooting forward under the boat when the boat speed is increased and the boat begins to plane the transducer is now shooting strait down off the transom and the slightest disturbance of the water passing over the transducer will cause it to loose bottom. Sometimes tilting the back of the transducer up a bit will cure the problem. In other situations lowering the transducer on the transom will help to fix problems. This is a trial and error thing requiring lots of patience and experimentation. On some boats the transducer will be mounted so low that it causes alot of spray. Every boat is different and results vary. Another factor can be the weight in the boat because the weight changes the way the boat sits in the water. I suggest that anyone having problems with a transducer to glue a nylon board to the bottom edge of the transom (like a thick nylon cutting board) now you can re-locate and move the transducer on the board as needed without drilling additional holes into the boat. Hope some of this helps.