Malone report

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

Malone report

Post by swampsinger »

I was over the border yesterday. I fished several spots on the Salmon river in the Malone area. The water levels/flow still a little high but very fishable and receding. Caught several nice rainbow and brown trout. This trip I persevered with my attempts at euro nymphing. Top fly the Get it Down Pat's, tied on a jstockard 604 # 12.{eq. to a lot of size 8 hooks}

Fly tying video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOyd9Dw5KAU
Doeun_k
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Malone report

Post by Doeun_k »

I also fish NY state salmon river in malone is great. Any size too them? Ive caught a 13inch brown and a few 9 inchers in earlier apring when the water was really high.
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

Re: Malone report

Post by swampsinger »

I've found the majority of the trout in that size range, with the rainbows average larger and the brookies smaller. Fish story alert, I lost really nice trout, I'm not used to them pulling 30 or 40 ft of line off the reel. I like the way they manage their resource, Catch and release sections or fly fishing only sections, substantial stocking, etc. Its nice to see signs like "anglers park here" or a private sign that read in bold, NO TRESSPASSING EXCEPT FOR FISHERMEN.