first time tageting smallmouth on the fly!!!

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
pikeie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

first time tageting smallmouth on the fly!!!

Post by pikeie »

well on the labour day long weekend my family and i went up to a nice little set of lakes north of ottawa. i was fishing the bass all day on conventional tackle so while we were at the campsite one evening i wanted to try to catch a smallie on the fly. the water was a nice 73 degrees so i wet waded out to about waist deep about 20 feet off shore. i noticed a little hatch of mayflys going on and minnows were bulging the surcae constantly taking the bugs off the surface, but i didnt see any smallies hitting the surface. it was getting later so i put on a black woolly bugger to make it stand out better against the sky and got a cast out just past an underwater rockpile that i saw earlyer that day. i started to stip it in, bulging just under the surface and the bass came out of nowhere with about 35 feet of line out i set the hook and was greated with a nice smallie tail walking. so on my first cast i got my first decent smallie on the fly, he measured 15". next cast as the fly was 5 feet from my rod tip i got another hit and another great fight, these fish fight twice as hard on the fly!! got him and he was a 14". after a few mnore casts i got another one with a full cast distance bettween us. i set the hook and he took a huge run i was really susprised lol. this fish fought for a very long time and after many jumps and runs i got him and it was my biggest and last fish of the night measuring just over 16". this is my PB bass on a fly rod and cant wait to get more.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/ ... 1189302174
the fish near the end of the fight

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/ ... 1189302207
and heres my PB

so in under 8 cast i got 3 nice smallies!!i cant wait to get another on the fly they fight so much better :D :D
Musky51
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Musky51 »

Nice report! great work
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Way to go, Pikeie!!! Bass on the fly definitely is a hoot!

Have you targeted largemouths, too?
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Good report!! If you think the Bass hit hard wait until you hook your first Rainbow Trout of equal size and then "HANG ON" for a fight 8) :wink: !!!
pikeie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by pikeie »

Fishboy wrote: Have you targeted largemouths, too?
no i hope to real soon tho
Trouthunter wrote: If you think the Bass hit hard wait until you hook your first Rainbow Trout of equal size and then "HANG ON" for a fight 8) :wink:!!!
i am starting steel heading this fall and that on my too do list :D
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Well done!!!!!

Smallies on the fly are such a hoot. I caught a few decent smallies today on a tube and as I was bringing them in all I could think about was how much more fun they would have been on a fly.
GrandRiverReaper
Participant
Participant

Post by GrandRiverReaper »

Awesome report Beachburger. I too got my first smallies on the fly about two weeks ago. Oddly enough on the same set-up: black woolly bugger and stripping about 30 ft on a 6wt outfit. I took two in a row about 17" apiece and fought both until I was tired. Nothing beats that fight, eh? I would have loved to fight the big pike that came up to smell the bugger on the next cast!

keep it reel,

GRR