brookie fishing!!

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
pikeie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

brookie fishing!!

Post by pikeie »

well after my sucsess last time at this creek i decided to hit it agian after the rain we got. i got down to the creek and i didnt see any fish taking bugs off the surface, but i tryed anways, last time i was there the brookies were taking crickets and damsel flies off the surface, but today when i got there thre was a small mayfly hatch going on perfect! the mayflys seemed to be the Mahogany Duns, so i first not seeing anyfish surfaceing i tossed out a weightless worm and didnt get any hit for 3 diffrent drifts. so this time i decided to bring along the fly rod, good thing i did! i havent flyfished in about 1 1/2 years, and i havent tied anyflys for quite a while. but i put on a extended body mayfly dun and cast it out to the slack water, first cast was crap i got to get used to it agian, right away a brookie takes it but misses, and another misses agian on the next cast and then another. so a am starting to get the hang of casting agian and am fairly accurate, so i cast to the current break and right when it hits the water a nice brokkie takes it, i wait a second the set the hook, and fish on! then the brookie jumps about 2 feet out of the water and pulls me into a log jam but i worked him out of it and got my first one on shore, a nice 14 incher! after releasing all of my brookies for the last 5 trips out i decided i could use a nice feed of brookies. soory for the bad quality of picture. i had to take a picture with my phone and then my phone wouldnot send the picture. so i took a picture of the fish off of my phone screen lol.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/ ... 1184901947

next cast i get another hit, fly goes down i set the hook and a nice 12"er comes out of the water and gave me a really nice fight. boy do these fish fight for there size, the sure know how to use the current to help them out.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/ ... 1184901972

ten i got a nice 10''er she gave me nice fight as well and she goes in the with the keepers aswell so ive got 3 fish in the pile. that shold be enough for a nice feed.

i catch a few other in the 12 inch range and let them go. as i was walking the stream i met up with another angler who told me of a spot where the brookies hold real good in a bend in the river, so as i got there i didnt see any fish but soon enough as the fish calmed down they started coming out. i saw 4 fish theat were over 14" eazy one looked closer to 16 inches. and a whole olt in the 10-12 inch range but when i hooked one of the 14"ers all the fish took off, and i also ended up loseing that fish as well :wallbash: . so today i didnt catch as many as i did 2 days ago but the size was a lot better, avrage size was 12''!!!. i went 6/12, not the greatest odds but all fish hit on a size 10 extended body mayfly, and a size 10 parachute style mayfly. not one fish was caught on worms today :thumbsup_anim: .

here is the infamous kill shot lol
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/ ... 1184902367
the 10'' is on top
the 14'' is in the middle
and the 12" is on the bottom

i think ive found my own little honey hole
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

Nice report.

Your honey hole sounds sweet... congrats.
bobfly
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bobfly »

You guys up in Barrie are lucky to have a brookie creek. Congratulations and Welcome back to the Dark Side. Feel the power of the fly!

bobfly :)
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Way to honour the trout, Pikie - on the flyrod!

I've had really good success on extended body mayflies - they're kind of like brookie candy.
Mak'er a Lak'er
Participant
Participant

Post by Mak'er a Lak'er »

Nice specs.

I keep and eat Brookies too, and sometimes more than three, but be careful as too how many you take from your honey hole, as it doesn't take long for brookies to run dry.

We all know that it doesn't take much to ruin a nice honey hole these days, especially within striking distance of TO.

Cheers,

Mak'er
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

as it doesn't take long for brookies to run dry
The only specs spots I know of are are few stocked lakes in the Pembroke/Petawawa area. If you want to know which ones, drive up on Jan 1 and look for very large groups of people making swiss cheese out of the ice on these small lakes. The local guys I go ice fishing with think the specs are emptied in the first few weeks of Jan and after that it's better to go after 'eyes or crappies.

The little specs are very tasty though..... :wink:
pikeie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by pikeie »

o dont worry i like i said these are the first specks ive kept this year. infact i never fished them last year so i never kept any ither. and im not planing to keep anymore.