Taking The Plunge

A different type of fishing that has seen rewards been reaped by many. This forum allows us to learn more about Float and Fly fishing from those who have made it their number 1 way to fish.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Taking The Plunge

Post by beachburger »

Picked up my first fly outfit this afternoon, a 4 pc, 9 ft 8 wt setup that I plan to use initially for LM bass and pike. I've never touched a fly outfit before and my wife is suddenly very worried about her well-being in the back of the boat. Should make for some interesting outings..... :shock:
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by plowjock »

Well Doug
You know how to solve that little problem don't you???
It's not called 2 footitis for no apparent reason.
Get a longer boat and your beloved won't have to worry about ducking all the time.
Getting some of those BIG river smallies on the fly will be more fun than using senkos and crankbaits.
Just some smart alec old duffer offering his $0.02.
rossco
Participant
Participant

Post by rossco »

You won't regret it. This is my first season and I practically addicted! It's much more fun (and productive) than any other type of fishing I've ever tried.

Good luck!

PS- At least you wife come with you.

R
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

rossco

Where/how did you learn to cast? I'm been reading and watching stuff on the Net and the guy who set me up (Tony @ Green Drake) gave me the basics . It looks to be fairly straightforward but I'm guessing I won't be thinking that once I start. javascript:emoticon(':?')
Confused

I suspect I'll be going for a lesson to get rid of any and all bad habits before long.....
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Brian,

No room for the extra 2 ft and no $ the extra 50HP to move the extra 2 ft. I'll just learn how to cast and keep everyone safe.

I don't know why she is so concerned. A fly is way smaller than a 1/2 oz spinnerbait..... :wink:
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Welcome to the Dark Side......

What make and model of rod & reel did you get at Green Drake?

If I could make a suggestion, take both your fly rod and your spin/baitcasting tackle to begin. Fly casting can be frustrating for novices, but with both types of tackle handy you won't have to stop fishing when the fly rod confounds you.

Also, take the casting course at Green Drake. It really helps beginners learn the basics.

Bass on the fly is fantastic!!! You haven't really caught bass until you've done soon the fly. Pretty much anywhere you fish for bass using spin or baitcasting methods, flyfishing will work.

A group of Ottawa Flyfishers Society members will meet at the park at the Champlain Bridge on Tuesday evening for some bassing in the river. You're all more than welcome to join us. The skill level varies, but the commraderie is always top notch
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

The rod and reel are both Orvis Clearwater. There was a pre-packaged beginners setup available but the rod had no warranty so I decided to upgrade the rod and cheap out on the reel.

I'll try the same approach as I used many years back when learning how to use a baitcaster. I found an isolated bay and spent the better part of an afternoon screwing up until I got the hang of it. I'll probably end up getting Tony @ Green Drake to give me a half day 1 on 1 casting/tips session at the end of July when I'm back from vacation.

Is this Tuesday thing a regular event?
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

beachburger,

We're hoping to make the Tuesday evening outings a regular activity this summer, though last season the weather nixed most of the outings.

As for casting, until you get a handle on the basics I would suggest that you do not try to fish and improve your casting at the same time. It will only lead to frustration. Tie on a 6' piece of mono, a tuff of yarn and practice in an open playing field, etc.

With respect to casting clinics, while there is nothing formally planned, I"m sure something informal can be arranged. This weekend is actually good for me as my wife has to work all weekend and I'm left to eat, sleep and fish. LOL.

Cheers,
Todd
rossco
Participant
Participant

Post by rossco »

I just bought a video on fly casting technique, watched it and then spent a couple of hours practicing in a field. After that I headed out and hit the water. Not too hard once you get the hang and then the distance comes with time.