Muskrat Lake

The Fishing Map Project comes alive in Hawk Talk. This project features various bodies of water in the province of Ontario, which can be downloaded here, and used to find some potential honey holes.
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Muskrat Lake

Post by Bobber »

Lake Description:
Muskrat Lake is located in the Whitewater Region of Renfrew County. Said to be the home of lake monster Mussie, Muskrat Lake drains into the Muskrat River. Other than a few cottages and campgrounds, Cobden is only one community on the lakes shore. Along its eastern shores is Sturgeon Mountain

Muskrat Lake has a thriving ecology which, to the disdain of local swimmers, encourages the growth of notoriously lush seaweed. Obviously though this has the opposite reaction on fishing enthusiast who come year round to try their hand at fishing. I personally have a love/hate relationship with this lake. If the fishing is on.....IT'S ON, if not, you can fish for 3 days without a bite. I've done it.

Species:
Muskrat Lake species include Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass, Pike, Walleye, and Lake Trout.

Getting There:
From Ottawa, take the 417 highway west about 72 miles. Look for big water tower with "Cobden" written on it. As you head into the town, Muskrat Lake is on the right, with the municiple launch quick right turn across from the gas station. Keep your eye out for the boat launch sign.

Have you fished this body of water? If so, tell us how you did and where you had success.

Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
Rico24
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rico24 »

Hi there, last year i went to muskrat lake, and was one of those bad weekends i guess, no bites at all. But i am returning this weekend, and hoping i will catch some bass :). I'll try to tell some good spots when i come back.
Rico24
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rico24 »

-edit
fenderbender
Participant
Participant

Post by fenderbender »

There's also a boat launch on the Muskrat River where highway 17 crosses, which is good for folks from the Pembroke direction. Look for it on the right at the bottom of the big hill (Meath Hill) where it crosses the river by the train trestle. If coming from Ottawa it's on the left immediately past the Muskrat river.
The river all the way down to the lake is navigable year round, but when the water level is low you need to make sure you stay planed out or you'll be churning up a lot of mud and picking up weeds. The launch itself is excellent. Fishing is pretty good all the way down to the lake too for Bass and Pike.
charbyc
Participant
Participant

muskrat lake

Post by charbyc »

i was there three weeks ago for the week.... the fishing was sortof dismal, but i managed some nice pike every day. the pickeral werent biting anything and i think the water was just a bit to cold for anything to be very hungry.....

nice lake beautiful shore im going back in a couple weeks for a second crack!
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

On the map section D and E 5 have produced pike and bass for me
charbyc
Participant
Participant

Post by charbyc »

i was trolling for pickeral in along below section e5 on the map..... there was roughly 20 feet of water and you'll know the spot if you look for a big shack with an orange roof.

got loads of pike there..... no wallies though.

gonna try again and try your tip thanks!
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

I gave up on bottom bouncing for eyes, lost too many worm harnesses to pike in that section
worm washer
Participant
Participant

Post by worm washer »

Looking to spend a couple days on muskrat Lake. Any reports on the eye's