Pike pics

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Flipper
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Flipper »

The big ones are shallow in the spring and fall but go deep when the water warms up. Warm, shallow water does not have enough oxygen for them. Big pike behave almost like a different species from the typical 5lb and under.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

They are also very teritorial. If you're getting lots of smaller ones, try moving off them and trying a spot were the action is a little slower. Might be suprised.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Gotcha. Go shallow spring and fall and deep in the summer.

Hey Markus you may be right. When my cousin caught that 12 LBer we were in 15-20 feet of water and caught nothing and all of a sudden, wam! The 30 inch Pickeral was caught in the the exact same spot. Also only fish in that spot.

I may even upgrade line diameter or put leaders. I have always used 6 lb test but because of Zebra mescles i haver up graded to 8 then 10 and sometimes 12. My bait caster will have 50LB power pro after I am done with the 12lb. So will probably reduce bit offs also.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Where I fish anyways a 6 lb. LM Bass is more common than a 10 lb+ pike. I'd be curious if people in other parts in the province had the same experience. Better pike spots the opposite is likely true.