Ordering Fishing Stuff From the US

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Rideau_Lungehunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ordering Fishing Stuff From the US

Post by Rideau_Lungehunter »

I'm looking for information from some of you who have purchased items from US stores like Bass Pro or Cabelas.

When you order the items, is there much duty to be paid?

I've heard that sometimes the shipping will cost more thah the items if it is sent by courrier.

Anybody have any tips for getting items at a reasonable price?

Thanks for any feedback that you can provide.
BigSim
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigSim »

Hey, I'm from kemptville rideau,

My dad orders from both BPS and Cabela's and he's never complained about duty and such, though he generally orders a fair amount at a time. I don't know how how he has it shipped though.

I would suggest though, that you make the trip to Vaughn Mills. I know its a hell of a drive from where you are, but it's well worth it, especially if you've never been into a BPS, like me. We wnet up with my mother and my girlfriend, and while the two of them wandered the mall, my dad and I spent almost four hours in the fishing section alone at the Bass Pro Shop.
I have found that some people think they are a bit over-priced, but I didn't notice a big difference all in all.

The only thing I would suggest is that you leave EARLY and I can't stress that enough. We got there at about 11:00 on sunday morning a few weeks ago and it was pretty quiet, but all of the sudden I looked up and it's 1:00 and the place is packed.

Hope this helps, at least a little.

BigSim
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

I order very often from the US, I make sure they send it by snail mail and not courrier because the brokerage fee can be double the perchase price.

I get hit for dutie about 50% of the time but it ends up equaling the tax you would have paid at home. I only order from the US on stuff I cannot find up here because you really won't save enough money.
topwater
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by topwater »

RL
I order from the states quite often actualy you dont pay duty you pay tax and brokerage so they are going to take the value of the goods convert it to canadian and charge 15% plus brokerage check with them and specify that you want it sent USPS do not let them send it UPS as they charge a rediculas fee.

remember if ordering from Bass-Pro ED at paddletails can get you anything and may end up being cheaper :) :)
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Hey RL,

you do have to be careful. Here's a typical bill from Cabela's when ordering online!

You select the type of shipping during the on-line purchase procedure.

Goodluck :!:
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

In your example wig taxes are basically 15% which is fine... i've never had a problem with stuff from cabellas as they are upfront about what you pay and there's no surprise charges afterwards. It's those unknown companies that inflate the shipping or use couriers which then means you get hit with a huge bill after you receive your goods. I've looked at bps and their shipping seems very high and they state that you are responsible for any taxes/duty incurred.....

It goes without saying.. small orders can end up having little in savings but larger orders can be worthwhile.
Chrispy
Participant
Participant

Post by Chrispy »

I buy stuff from Cabelas all the time....yesterday I just bought a Okuma line counter reel with a Depth Master rod and a bunch of other small stuff....I don't have a problem with the pricing only because like another member said they are up front about it....I just looked at my last bill that I got from them...

Merchandise - $99.99
Duty - $7.00
Broker Fee - $3.50
GST - $7.49
HST??? - $8.56
Shipping and handling - $19.76

So for a $100.00 item I am paying $46.30 for everything.....If I would have bought this stuff over here it would probably work out to the same price, only where I live I don't get the selection....Hope this helps!!!!

Chrispy!
Tony
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Tony »

Ransome and I just received a huge order from BPS and for the roughly $350 order we only paid something like $20-$30 shipping. Overall I figure I saved well over 60% the canadian prices!
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

You have to make sure nothing is shipped UPS, the bastards will charge you 25-40% brokerage fees.

I just got a $70USD lure delivered and it cost my $44CAD to get my package. The Canadian value was 85.07, 12.76 tax and 29.10 brokerage fee and to make things worse 2.04 GST on the rip off brokerage fees. That's a 35% brokerage fee, can you imagine importing something in the 4 figures?

I have had to pay over $80 sometimes on packages worth a couple of bills.

I now report them to the BBB every single time. Naturally I do everything in my power to have people ship by the postal service but sometime I get gifts sent to me and they cost me more then half their value. :cry:

BTW the postal service has a flat $5 brokerage fee, USP as quite a mark up for the same thing.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
Mike the 'Tender
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mike the 'Tender »

Chrispy wrote: HST??? - $8.56
HST stands for Harmonized Sales Tax. Some provinces have their PST and GST put together in a simple 15% instead of dividing it. I don't know why you'd be getting charged it though, seeing as you're from Ontario and Ontario keeps the PST and GST seperate. Or they might just use HST as a PST marker as well.
Méchant Malade
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Méchant Malade »

Anything that his bought over the border via a commercial entreprise is subject to taxes if value exceed 20$CAN. Customs brokeage varied from entreprise to entreprise (Fedex,UPS,DHL,Emery etc...)They are representing you in front of Customs and for that they will charge you some money. The only organisation that do not charge Customs fees are postal organisation: this is a agreement between the post around the world. The only paper to fill is a CN22 a declaration on the value and nature of the article being ship; it's on that declaration that the shipper can put send as a gift, sample etc... or indicate the value of the merchandise.
So by using Postal organisation you are not charge with customs fees but if value exceed 20$ CAN you can be subject to taxes and if so, another 5$ CAN will be collect over the taxes charge, by Canada Post as administrative fees.