A Beautiful Day on Hamilton Bay (all q'ns answered)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Hey steve, where do you launch in Hami bay and what else can you target besides cats? Oh and what feet of water was the cat taken in?
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Hey steve, where do you launch in Hami bay and what else can you target besides cats? Oh and what feet of water was the cat taken in?
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

I guess you stay in the small harbour? Is that near the QEW bridge?
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

Crash, shore access is definately a possibility.

you can see in the pictures some guys fishing from shore. walk the path from either Pier four park (bottom of Bay street), or from Princess Point, bottom of Macklin Street. Same walk either way. If you do the walk from pier four, there is fishable water from shore all the way from the park to the bridge....its about a mile walk. (maybe a bit less...good for ya!)

there are two launches in Hamilton Bay. Depending on if your fishing deep into the bay (near the Cootes bridge, like i was last night), or out by the lift bridge (burlington side).....Inner Bay = Pier Four Park, Outer Bay = LaSalle park.

Both are Free. The bay wont blow up enough to make it dangerous for any boat over about 15 foot....i fished it for years out of my coleman scanoe.

as for depths, where i worm fish is called 'the hamilton bay bar'. (yes, i coined that term myself :lol: )

Its a deep channel that flows into Hamilton Bay, that is around 11 feet in depth, that comes up to a four foot hump.

The biggest difficulty is trying to stay in the right area, as my anchor isn't heavy enough to keep us anywhere....

As for fish....It depends on your plan of attack.

I've been out seven times already in Hamilton Bay....I was skunked the first five times.

Soooo...it was time to worm fish. If you want to work hard, Rainbows, Browns, Chinook, PIke, Bass (large and smallies), and Walleye are all possibilities...

Want to do some relaxing worm fishing? Carp, Channels, Sheephead, Dogfish, Sturgeon (less likely) are all possibilities.

Any more q'ns, feel free to ask.

Steve
Johnny Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Johnny Bass »

Thanks Steve for the well informed post. I gotta check out that little fishing paradise you got goin on there. Is that dejardin canal behind you?