Fishing license responsibility?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Fishing license responsibility?

Post by Mr.J. »

Can someone be held responsible if they take out someoen fishing with them and this person does not have a license?

Can the owner of a boat be held responsible if the passengers do not have a fishing license?

Is there any circumstance where it is not the individual who is fishing that is responsibel to posses a valid license?
Last edited by Mr.J. on Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

You are responsible for your own license. I think we all asume the person we're taking out has a license and on here i would say everyone does because we care about our sport.

I beleive you are responsible if you let someone without a boat operators card operate your boat. (not too much of a big deal right now but it will become one.)
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

What John said..but I alwyas ask, do ya have your license on ya. Makes it wound like I am making sure for them not for me...which I really am I guess. I honestly wouldn't thake anyone wout without a license though.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Canadian Bacon wrote:What John said..but I alwyas ask, do ya have your license on ya. Makes it wound like I am making sure for them not for me...which I really am I guess. I honestly wouldn't thake anyone wout without a license though.

Craig, slow down on your typing will you. You're starting to sound like Joco!

No offense intended Joco :!: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Wall-I-Guy wrote:
Canadian Bacon wrote:What John said..but I alwyas ask, do ya have your license on ya. Makes it wound like I am making sure for them not for me...which I really am I guess. I honestly wouldn't thake anyone wout without a license though.

Craig, slow down on your typing will you. You're starting to sound like Joco!

No offense intended Joco :!: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WIG, you beat me to it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for the question itself, I think it is a very good one. Especially in place like this ...

Anytime you invite "strangers" into your boat, you never know what you will get. And while no one on this board is a stranger, I couldn't pick most of yas out of a line up if you were standing alone.
So, what happens when your guest ...
Doesn't bring a license (whether they have one or not)
Brings along a couple of beers
Smokes, if you don't
Is an A-hole

A lot of guys putting their hearts out on their sleeve by inviting others out in their boats, and could potentially put themselves in a liability situation. Scary stuff when you consider in some cases you could lose your boat, your license, etc.

M.T. Livewell
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

LOL..I bet Joco understood me...LOL :wink:
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi all

thanks Wall-i-guy`````` :(

`yes i did understodd real well,,,,,,,,C.B.

fellow puzzle man,,,,,,,,

i no on thing ,,,,in quebec dont forget it in your truck or helse,,you have to have it on you,,,,,,,,,,thats it,,,,,,,,

for the other part,,,,,,,,,if people are wit you dont have it,,,,,,,
i dont ask it,,,,,,,,i asume they have it,,,,,, :? ,,,,,,,usely go wit people that fish a lot ,,,so they have it,,,,,,,,,

but thats a good question,,,,i would not like it ,,,iff i got my boat and equipement confiscated for all summer because off this,,,,,, :x

lets say i would not pay the baill,,,,,,,,, :evil:

joco :P
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by JP »

I like to play it safe and I like to promote fishing within the laws. I ask anyone that comes on my boat if they have a valid license and if they do not, they don't come with me. Nothing personal, but I think fishing without a valid license is poaching.
Just my 2 cents.
Cheers
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

Just a question guys.......I want to get my little cousin into fishing and he's 8. Does he need a license?
Tonyb
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

legal age

Post by Tonyb »

Hey Orrsey,

In Ontario no licence is needed untill you turn 18. Thats a pretty good deal in my books.

TonyB :wink:
The bigger, the better!
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HIIIIIIIIIIII

HI TONY B

THE same on quebec side,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if you have children they can fish wit you on your permit but you will be allow only one limit off fish,,,off everykind,,,,,,,,but there nothing to care about us we trow everything back,,,, :wink:

joco :P
Grappler
Participant
Participant

Post by Grappler »

A child under the age of 18 in Ontario also has a full sportsmans catch limit. Meaning they are entitled to the exact rules and limits as an adult sportsman licence. Having 3 children, I've asked several c.o's and recieved the exact same answer from all officers. (gotta like it when the government is consistent eh!!) Just a note.

Grappler
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

This is what the regs say:

Who does NOT need to purchase a Fishing
Licence?
1. Residents of Canada who are under 18 years of age or 65
years of age or older, and are in possession of their Birth
Certificate.
2. Disabled Canadian residents, if they are eligible for and in
possession of EITHER:
• a Canadian National Institute for the Blind National
Identity Card; OR
• an Ontario Ministry of Transportation disabled person
parking permit.
Those who qualify to fish without purchasing a fishing
licence as indicated above, may fish with the same catch
and possession limits as holders of a Resident Sport Fishing
Licence tag. Additionally, they have the same responsibilities
as those who have purchased an Outdoors Card and fishing
licence tag and must abide by all regulations.

I find it interesting that those under 18 and 65 and over, must have their
birth certificates in their possession. I think I will e-mail the ministry on that one. I don't think it is realistic that my young grand kids ages 4, 9 and 13 should have to carry their birth certificates with them. I am sure that it is to verify age when it is not obvious how old the person is. Probably another one of those field descretionary things for the CO's.
However, I will post the MNR's response to my e-mail when I get the answer.
Mike the 'Tender
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mike the 'Tender »

LarryS wrote:This is what the regs say:
I don't think it is realistic that my young grand kids ages 4, 9 and 13 should have to carry their birth certificates with them. I am sure that it is to verify age when it is not obvious how old the person is. Probably another one of those field descretionary things for the CO's.
However, I will post the MNR's response to my e-mail when I get the answer.
People have mistaken me for being in my early to mid 20's since I was 16 and I'm only 19 now (20 in a few months). A child that's 4, 9 or 13 (unless he or she's a whopping big 13 year old) is pretty obvious. That's the only time I really can see it being justified.
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

LarryS

If you can, please also ask them about who is responsible if two people are fishing in a boat and the boat owner poses a license and the other person does not.

Thanks