Driftwood/Samuel de Champlain Parks

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Driftwood/Samuel de Champlain Parks

Post by saskie »

Hi. I was wondering if anyone out there had any info on camping and fishing in either of these parks. Specifically boat access, overall quality of fishing (pike, walleye and smallies - roughly in that order of preference) camping and definitely any dangerous areas to watch out for on the river(s). Thanks guys
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

Although We haven't been there for a couple years, Driftwood is a great park, with a very good boat launching area, if you get the right spot you can put your boat right at your site on the sand.
Fishing, is good they say, but if youv'e seen other posts from me and my boat motor, I cant really comment :cry:
Very nice area and good walking trail
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

Fishing is great in the Driftwood area. I fish that stretch of water alot in the summer. I love it because there is hardly any fishing pressure. I mostly fish smallies up there but I know there is a few good walleye spots very close to the park. As for the Pike fishing I can't tell you, I have only caught them by accident when fishing bass. Launch facilities are good and the water is fairly clean and well marked where there is any danger.
Thanks to my great supporters Deep River Outfitters, Shimano Canada and Hunters Bay Marine.
Suddsy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Suddsy »

I have not fished either of these parks but just read a very good article in the March edition of the Ontario Out Of Doors magazine. The article describes fishing the upper Ottawa River and on page 50 specifically mentions the Driftwood Prov. Park area. I posted a message about the area in this forum yesterday but did not receive any responses. I hope to be fishing the area Tuesday of next week and will let you know how we make out. :D
topwater
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by topwater »

Saskie
Big O and I stayed at Driftwood 2 years ago , wanted to go back last year but just couldn't fit it in to our plans but we hope to go back this year hopfully with a few Hawktalkers. Park is great no extras and no programs but all sites are first come first served ...no reservations...this I like, tired of trying to get into parks 2 months ahead of time and not able to get a site :cry:

The launch and docks are excellent and fishing was great considering we had never fished that stretch before .If you dont want hydro you can get waterfront sites , very shallow beach , bigger boats can't make it all the way to shore. Let me know if you want more info

By the way never stayed at the other park
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Here are a few links to help, the info about boating and launches is minimal but it gives a rough idea about each park.

Samual De Champlain
http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/samu.html

Note:
Boating
Motorboats are prohibited on Long Lake, the source of the park's drinking water. Moore Lake is restricted to boats of 10hp or less.
There is a boat launch and docking facilities.
Boaters can also access Mattawa River where motorboats are permitted.

Driftwood
http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/drif.html

Note:
Boating
The Ottawa River is excellent for all types of boating. Launch your boat in the day-use area of the park

The main web-site for all Parks in Ontario is:

http://www.ontarioparks.com/index.html