landing net stratagies

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

landing net stratagies

Post by Tip-up »

I thought it would be fun to discuss landing net strategies, techniques, and functions of what (I'm thinking) so many people might consider mundane or not important when it comes to the final step of putting into possession that trophy walleye or other fish specie you just hooked and fought to the boat or shore. I truly believe that being a good landing net man involves as many technical facets and qualities as being a good instinctive shooter.

1. Premature E-netulation, or "he's still to green" syndrome. Trying to net the fish long before he has worked off any of his fighting edge. I guess the best teacher of this mistake is knowing the true stamina of the fish specie your catching. That is, catching enough of this particular specie to know what their tricks and signs are that they are ready to be netted. This remedy of course has to come with simple time put in, to learn each species habits.

2. Nettus improperous, or "coming in from the back door". Netting a fish from the back or tail first is wrong. And I know that many of you (maybe as kids) were taught that way. Heres the only point that I'll make on this technique argument. Fish cannot swim backwards very well, but they sure can swim forward awful fast, quick and hard.

3. Properous Timeingus, or "going down when I'm coming up". Good consistent netting is nothing more than good timing. The net should be going south when the fish is coming or being pulled north. This makes for a clean tangle free net job. Many things should be taken into consideration involving this process. River current or boat surge while trolling creates a current of sorts. Leaving the net or bag of the net in the water while waiting for the fish to tire and be brought in is a no-no. The bag webbing of the net will puff out in this current and be the first thing to reach the fish with a mouth full of hooks. That then puts him attached to the outside of the net. Remember, outside Bad....inside Good. A proper Thrust, Sweep and Lift technique should be used and practiced always.

4. Jabitous/Reacherous, or "the two worse no-no's". Never Jab at a fish with the net. I know it tempting to do when it's just laying suspended there, but he will both see and hear it coming and have many flee options. And very few will end up with you as the winner. Never reach the nets length for a fish. Know your nets capture zone length and give yourself a comfortable leeway. Often times reaching accomplishes the same thing as the (Bag First) mistake. You want the fish on the inside of the net.

5. And lastly, Waverous/Signalous, or the "Hey we have a fish on over here". This technically has nothing to do with possessing the fish, but I feel must be mentioned. If you'd like to actually get to fish the same area you just caught this nice walleye in for a couple more passes, keep the net down in the boat until ready to actually use. Nothing like waving a 14' long black flag off the back end of your boat to attract attention.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

I would agree tip-up, it certainly isn't just a simple function as some might think. But then again..don't over think it :!:

I like your blurb though! :lol:
Scumking
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scumking »

Heh tip up,

You make me think of one an funny story.One night in particular we were out in Nighttroller's boat and Peng had hooked in a big Walleye in Quinte at about 4.00 am.Prior to this things had been quite slow so I had decide to get some shuteye on the front casting deck.Being the netman at the time they asked me to net the fish but I was still out cold.I wokeup in a daze with net in hand and preceeded to just look at the 10.5 pd fish thrash beside the boat.I can't tell you how loud the screaming was but I can still hear Peng to this day yelling net the fish.

I finally netted the fish and Peng won 3rd place in the Napannee tournament.I believe it was a 1000 bucks of goodyear tires.

Netting is important

Ron
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

hehe ! :lol:
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

netting

Post by Jigs »

\
Tip Up:

Good post.

Nothing worse than having some dip knock your wall hanger off your line.

I know, I've done it lots :shock: specially if the fish is bigger than any I have in the well. :roll:

Same with "helpin" a guy gaff a really big fish.

:lol: Jigs :mrgreen:
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

jigs i think it has happend to just about everyone.
SkeinMachine
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by SkeinMachine »

Never let someone who's under-the-influence attempt to net your fish.

Cost me a 18-20 lb bow,back in the spring. :evil:
jammer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jammer »

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

I have seen both a nice salmon and a good sized pike get away by netting from the front. One of the hooks from the treble hook gets stuck in the net and then the fish thrashes and the next thing you know the fish is gone. I net from the rear with a rising action as I get closer to the front of the fish. I haven't lost one yet with this method. If they do swim away they are still hooked and have nothing to get leverage from.
...anything to bend the rod
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Thats why you have to scoop them rather than swipe them up in the net. It is not worth risking that trophy fish! And skein i agree, you better be sober if your netting my fish.lol :lol:
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Nothing worse than having some dip knock your wall hanger off your line.
Sounds an awful lot like Bacon. Thank goodness he's finally getting a clinic. :P

M.T. Livewell
grumpy7790
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Net

Post by grumpy7790 »

I use to never carry a net

They were always in the way.

No place to store them.

Blew out of the boat.

But, last year I bought this self storing net. I can strap it down like a rod and store it in the rod locker. Only drawback, its not for monster fish.

Hibernet

Grumpy