chain saw to cut ice

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Brad
Participant
Participant

chain saw to cut ice

Post by Brad »

I am probably going to regret asking this but :?

my brother has a small gas powered chain saw
I thought It might be ok to make small holes in the ice to ice fish

has anyone done this before and if so how did it work for you

I don`t plan to make big cuts and cause a hazard for people to fall in to after I have left ! :oops:
I just thought if it works ok why not

I would like to hear from you good or bad let me know what you think
thanks
Brad :wink:
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Ok..first question..the ice is getting thick...What size saw do you have?

Now once you have cut your chunk of ice how do you plan to get ot out of the hole?

I personally don't think it is a good idea...
Last edited by Canadian Bacon on Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishchaser
Participant
Participant

Post by fishchaser »

I say it would work however I also think it's a bad idea because of the Oil used on the chain, it would polute our waters

fishchaser
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

I asked Markus the same question yesterday and came to the conclusion that it will definetly be easier to just get an auger.
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

I was wondering about using a cordless reciprocating saw.Any ideas about using one to cut a hole.
muskymuskymusky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by muskymuskymusky »

There is a whole discussion on this and how it is done at this address if ya want to look http://forums.fishontario.com/ page 21 or 22 "ice fishing" "can i use a chainsaw..."
fishchaser
Participant
Participant

Post by fishchaser »

walker; now that deffinetly would not work cause you would not be able to start (cut) into the ice. It would be like using an airhammer , the saw needs to go the full stroke. now, thats just my 2 cents

fishchaser
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Chain Saws

Post by Cancatchbass »

Chain saws work fine for cutting through ice. If concerned about polluting, there are vegetable-based chain oils available.

As for a cordless reciprocating saw- wouldn't recommend it. VERY hard to get the hole started and limited depth of cut. If the ice is THAT thin, just spud a hole. :wink:

CCB
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Pay the neighbours crazy kid 5 bucks to hack at the ice with his whittled down Titan Hockey stick. Eventually he'll get through.
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

I personally dodnt think you should, you should go out and get a auger from canadian tire for 60 bucks or somthing.
Northamfishing Tackle
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Brad you can cut holes that way, after you cut through you break up the inside with a bar and lift it out. the blade should be longer than the depth of the ice, you don,t need chain oil it'll cool itself. Now if you have never done it don't even try! You have to bury the tip in the ice, move it the wrong way it's a jack in the box with sharks teeth.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

fishforfun wrote:Brad you can cut holes that way, after you cut through you break up the inside with a bar and lift it out. the blade should be longer than the depth of the ice, you don,t need chain oil it'll cool itself. Now if you have never done it don't even try! You have to bury the tip in the ice, move it the wrong way it's a jack in the box with sharks teeth.
Spoken like a two fingered chainsaw master.

ZIIIIIIING!!! I'm on fire tonight :lol:
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Another tip

Post by Cancatchbass »

Another tip- if the ice is not too thick- you push the cutout section down and over to the side of the hole. Sometimes it will keep going until it's out of sight.

fff is right. If you are not experienced with a chain saw, cutting ice is not the way to get experienced.

CCB
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Forgot to add you think a chain saw can throw wood chips, a PWC cant throw a rooster tail like a saw, the guy running it eats it :shock:
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Used to use one exclusively for a couple years....It was great unless the ice got too thick as mentioned here already. The other thing was, got tired of the odd looks :!: I targeted old holes primarily :!: :wink: