Knuckle Buster Maybe????????????

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Niagara Nick
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Knuckle Buster Maybe????????????

Post by Niagara Nick »

A friend gave me this rod a long time ago and I've never tried it , thinking about trying it in the spring for salmon . Can anyone give me some does and don'ts :?: :?: :?: or should I put it back in the basement and forget about it :lol:

Fishquest
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishquest »

I bet there's a lot of interesting stories to be told if the rod could talk. I still fish with a guy that uses one. He has lead core line on it and i've also seen them run with steel line. We use them in the smaller lakes to get the lines down deep in our smaller boats. A lot easier to use and better control on the small lakes. You can still manage to get your line down 60 to 70 feet no problem. Only tip I would say is if you have steel line on it maybe go for some fresh line in case there are any kinks or nicks in it. Works great with williams wobblers and a good quaility snap swival.

Best of Luck with it.

Mike
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

An oldie

Post by Cancatchbass »

That's an oldie, NN.

An old trolling rod that was probably used for either muskie or lakers.

Is there a name on the rod or reel?

CCB
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

rod

Post by Jigs »

We used to use them for lake trout. Have to keep tension on the line while letting it out or you have a slinkey :shock:

If you use steel line, to get the lure down say to 80ft., it might be necessary to let out 300 ft of line........steel line.......Nasty if you get caught on bottom or feel weeds. LOTS of handle turning to bring it in.

We used a Johnny Green spoon in brass, with a rock bass or sunfish tail...Caught a lot of trout.

Regards: Jigs

:mrgreen:
Niagara Nick
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Niagara Nick »

I looked CCB, no names . I thought it might be fun to give it a try. I'm assuming that this is what they used before downriggers :?: . I put some old downrigger cable on it , don't know if it will work but will give it a try . :)
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by scttsmpsn »

... looks to me like an ice fishing rod. How long is that rod? That would be one crazy battle trolling for lakers with.

Cheers,

Scott
Niagara Nick
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Niagara Nick »

It's about 3 1/2 feet Scott . It's got some kind of a brake system for a drag that you work by hand . 1 to 1 gear ratio :lol:
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by scttsmpsn »

Ok, I have seen some guys at Charleston using these. They were bouncing Jonny Greens off bottom and catching a good little pile. Had red wire line on it.

Cheers,

Scott