Are all Flotation / Survival Suits Created Equal??

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Karack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Are all Flotation / Survival Suits Created Equal??

Post by Karack »

Hey Everyone,

I want to buy myself a flotation/survival suit for the ice fishing season and I'm looking at the Mustang Survival Integrity Suit at $357 and the Buoy-O-Boy Anti-Exposure Flotation Suit at $247

Does anyone have any opinions about either of these suits? I'm wondering what the extra hundred bucks is buying me from Mustang (perhaps it's just the name but I don't know).

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Karack
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Float Suits

Post by Seaweed »

I wonder if this has something to do with CFC certification or something.

I too checked out both suits and ironically it seemed like the cheaper of the two was actually a better suit. But they still won`t make me one big enough to wear... oh well I guess I get so save a couple of hundred bucks... that I can put to use elsewhere. Chances are my blubber will work as good or better than any suit anyways.

Now lets hope the Good Lord don`t get me wet this winter to prove me wrong. :?
Karack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Karack »

Thanks for your thoughts Seaweed! Here's hoping that your theory isn't put to the test - brrrrrrrrrrr!!
jammer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jammer »

Spend the most you can afford... If you can afford the mustang, buy the mustang... I have a camo one with the blow up collar and a blazing orange one.. These suits are simply unbelievable!!! The service from this company is unbelievable if needed..
gord_p
Participant
Participant

Post by gord_p »

I went from a Bouy o Bouy to buying a Mustang Atlantic this year, and there is a huge difference. As jammer said if you can afford it get the Mustang.
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

I have a Bouy o Bouy and it took a spring and fall to break it in. I am on my 3rd year with it and it is comfy, warm and keeps me dry in any weather (I have personnaly tested that a few times). Does one work better than another, the only way to tell is if you actually fall in the cold water and luckily I haven't.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

nighttroller wrote:Does one work better than another, the only way to tell is if you actually fall in the cold water and luckily I haven't.
Hey nighttroller,

I would recommend a test in shallow water in the Summer. After all, if it doesn't work as intended, not much good :!:
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

You definatly get what you pay for, I have a friend with a buoy suit and it sounds like a sears bag whenever he moves. I have had my Mustang suit for 5 years now and love it. I definatly will replace it with another Mustang or the new nautilus suit as they are of much higher quality as well.

I figure for the extra $100 you get many years of extra confort, figure out how many times a year you will wear the suit and you'll find a very low cost per day for the better quality.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
gord_p
Participant
Participant

Post by gord_p »

Getting yourself wet in summer is a good test. A snowsuit will also keep you warm and comfy, but I doubt it will after taking a plunge. I know someone that took an accidental slip into 40F water last fall in a Mustang and after pulling himself back onto his dock, he was completely dry inside. :shock:
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Mustang Atlantic class are made with Hypothermia protection...that is the big one when floating around in 34 degree water. Mustang manufactures suits for off -shore oil well workers, military and Rescue workers. They are very well made and tested. They may be a little over kill for the weekend angler, but I would not trade my life for a few hundred bucks.

Good luck...
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI all

I was cheking to buy me one,,,,,,,,,,,there are not all the same,,
try some on ,,you will see the difference,,,some have neoprene on the harm,,some have more stuffing thene other some have more equipement on it ex poket and all,,,,,,,,,,,

AND make sher if you have to go on lake ontario or the st laurence
ALL suite are note APPROVED ON U.S. side there are some suite that are
only approved on canada side and not on us side ,,,,,,,,you dont want
a ticket,,,,,,,,,,,,,,chek all off this,,,,,,,,,,mabe pay a bit more then buy another one next year :wink:

joco
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

ET is bang on! I am still saving my pennies to get one but here is a link for yall

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/
Karack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Karack »

Thanks for all of the input guys. I ended up buying the new Nautilus suit. It was the same price as the Mustang Integrity suit, and besides being more comfortable it had many more high end features that the mustang didn't have like a better cuff system, built in suspenders (so that you can take the top of the suit off if it warms up) reienforced seat and knees, higher hypothermia rating etc.

I'm very please with my new suit, now I just need to put it to use.

Bring on the Ice Fishing!!
Visorboy
Participant
Participant

Post by Visorboy »

Good choice Karack, I guess you got the NFS1000? I got the same suit too, and IMHO, a good bang for the bucks.

VB