Bad musky handling

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
muskyfanatic
Participant
Participant

Bad musky handling

Post by muskyfanatic »

I just finished watching a well known fishing show with host DC. I have to say that I was shocked to see how this guy handled and released musky on Lake St Clair. They even torpedoed musky from a moving boat, you could see the fish belly up behind the boat! They tried to convince viewers that the fish would be OK and that it would roll over and take off eventually. If any of you fish musky you know that this fish could have very well died. What was this so called "guide" thinking, this guy makes a living doing this?

To present this on TV as acceptable behavior is both dissapointing and totally unacceptable!
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Well I didn't see it but, sounds like someone needs a lesson in proper fish handling and release!

I have to agree...disappointing at the least :!:
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Hmmmm.....

Post by Cancatchbass »

I haven't watched that particular show for several years. Never liked it all that much.

Going from memories of the show, I'm surprised that muskie didn't end up on a Ducane BBQ! :lol:

CCB
muskyfanatic
Participant
Participant

Post by muskyfanatic »

Oooh, a musky filet, some onions, garlic & olive oil. Wrap it in aluminum foil and pop it on the grill for 15 minutes Mmmm!

Post by Guest »

Torpedoing is a very common technique on St. Clair. Most guys down there are running planar boards with multiple lines in the water (sometimes in the double digits) off larger boats. Instead of stopping the boat when they catch a fish, they keep moving. This prevents the lines from tangling up, but also prevents them from being able to administer "best practices" C&R. The boat is still moving, and the gunnels of the boat are too high to allow them to use the traditional S-pattern revival.

Given the steady populations of muskie in St. Clair, it is hard to dispute that this is not an effective technique. I don't like it as much as the next guy, but the numbers do suggest that it is a potentially effective technique.

I encourage gunis to add his feedback on this one, as he has far more knowledge on this subject than I do.

HW
Last edited by Guest on Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

muskyfanatic wrote:Oooh, a musky filet, some onions, garlic & olive oil. Wrap it in aluminum foil and pop it on the grill for 15 minutes Mmmm!
I think the best analogy I've ever heard is that eating a large muskie would be the equivalent of eating a 90 year-old human. Mmmm.......

HW
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Hawg Wobbler,

I am glad that you regularly remind folks how to handle & release these fish with care. I don't know enough about torpedoing vs. the S-pattern release, but it doesn't sound like it involves much TLC to launch an exhausted fish overboard.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
muskyfanatic
Participant
Participant

Post by muskyfanatic »

I'm sorry, but launching an exhausted 50 inch fish into the water because "your planer boards are out" is no excuse. I've never even been fortunate enough to even land a fish that big, if I did it would'nt be taken that lightly I can tell you.
Hoss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hoss »

I've seen a few shows on the Muskie of Lake St. Clair and it looks like an amazing fishery......However, I would rather feel the fight of the fish rather than use a heavy rod, heavy line, keep the boat going 4or 5 miles an hour and winch a fish in. I would give up the #'s of fish caught to feel the fight anyday. As far as torpedoing I don't see the logic......if it doesn't work the first time its not like the guys that do this are going to reel everything in, circle around and try to revive it. If you are not going to put it on the wall or eat it put it back properly....Just my 2 cents
Brad
Participant
Participant

My thoughts

Post by Brad »

I am by no means a expert on musky or any other species of fish but
I really love our sport fishery here in ontario, and because of that I try to respect the sport .
for my own peace of mind I like to learn about the type of fish i am after
and how to handle them .
I do keep some fish but for the most part I perfer to release them to catch another day
so I guess what I am trying to say please is use care releasing these fish :wink:

enough blabbing good fishing every one
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

I should think if the planer boards being out is your excuse, wouldn't it be better to hold the fish at the side of the boat while moving, allowing water to flow through the gills steadily, thus reviving the fish quicker? As opposed to just chucking it in that is, at least it would be an effort compared to the dart theory!

I mean if you're truly concerned about the fish, to do anything less tells me YDGAS.....(you don't give a...!) :shock:

Torpedoing just doesn't cut it for me, as Hoss says, if the fish doesn't take off right away, they likely won't go back to ensure it's survival!
Last edited by Wall-I-Guy on Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishing Freak
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishing Freak »

I ain't no pro, and i ain't no guide.

The first Muskie I ever caught was this year, and i spent almost 45 min by the fishes side to make sure it would swim away.

Maybe I should become a proguide, then I could just keep fishing instead of making sure the fish will be O.K.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I think part of their problem is the size of the boats they are fishing out of.....you could never hang off the side and do what is being suggested....not an excuse...just a fact...

Izumi was there on his episode yesterday.....he did the same thing.... :shock:

RJ
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Huh?

Post by Cancatchbass »

If these St. Clair Muskie hunters can't catch fish without using multiple lines- (sometimes in the double digits :shock: ) and that prevents them from being able to properly release their catch, I suggest they take up a new sport.

Once you get into that type of situation- the water behind the boat is a mass of spoons and/or plugs- it becomes too much like a commercial fishing operation (in my eyes 8) ). Why not use drag nets?

To treat magnificent muskie like a lowly lake trout, by not even bothering to a) stop the boat so that the fish can do its thing and the angler can enjoy a terrific battle -that's why we chase them in the first place, isn't it?- and b) to not bother to develop a technique that ensures as far as is possible the released fish will survive is an absolute disgrace!

CCB- my apologies to those who think lakers are the primo species...

Post by Guest »

HW... thats my expression but its a 90 year old women :evil: