Cuba Fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Cuba Fishing

Post by Carl »

Hey everyone,

The wife decided we were off to Cuba the second week of November.

Has anyone gone deep sea fishing off the coast of Varadero?

Any links and information would be greatly appreciated.

Carlco
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

Why don't you try some Cuba Bass fishing.
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by spinner »

Check with Markus as he went to Cuba earlier this year and went fishing while there.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Pink Lady and I had a banner day foshing in Cuba. I just eat, drank and partied, so as far asplanning details....that was PL's dept. I think we stayed at the Breeze's Holguin. We chartered a boat and fished Darodao (Dolphin) and Wahoo. We also caught a tuna.

Price was great. The Hospility Planners in the Lobby will help set you up. Book it as soon as you get there.

Here's a couple pic's

Pink Lady's 1st Dorado

Me, a Dorado, a wahoo and my shorts.

You won't regret a charter trip out. Just one tip though. Take down a couple things for the boat captain as a tip. They have absolutely nothing. A couple musky baits, long steel leaders or some heavy lb power pro will mean a lot to them. They don't have access to this stuff.

Have fun!
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

cuba

Post by jazman »

I was there on my honeymoon, no golf or fishing allowed but I did ask around for my next visit. You can get hooked up to spear fish the reefs as well... would love to try that.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Oh ya...don't forget to pack a small poll too! Lots of oppurtunties to jump in a paddle boat and poke around the reefs. You do not require a fishing liceince in Cuba.
phitty
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by phitty »

I thought I recognized the background from your "Best Catch" thread.
I was at Breezes Holguin in March 04.

There were SO many fish offshore - good snorkelling. There was one guy fishing from shore further down but I didnt see him catch anything.

P.
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

Thanks for the input so far.

I had thought of bringing some fishing stuff for them. I'll be sure to go get some stuff before I take off.

I just remember the amount of Baracuda's we caught while in Mexico a couple of years ago I figured I couldn't resist going out again.

From what I have found out so far the majority from Varadero is to go to Havana for some sailfish but I haven't found anything under 600$ us so I'm now looking into Bass fishing.

Will definetely bring a pole as I have regretted it the last couple of times I went down and didn't have any. I figure I'll go buy one of those retractable ones and bring some jigs and rapala's and hope for the best. Those small reef fish should bite on my crappie jigs! It'll get me ready for first ice crappie.
Carl
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Carlco, don't worry about taking to much tackle. A few sinkers and a pack of hooks would be lots for the reef fish. The hotel lunch/dinner buffet is loaded with great bait! :wink: :lol:
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Were are you going to Bass fish in Varedero?? I've been there and nothing but Ocean????right??

BASSSTALKER
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Jump on a mopede and you can go anywhere. I read once in an article that they believe the next world record bass will come out of Cuba.
Hoss
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hoss »

Marcus, I wish I had communicated with you about a month ago. I believe my girlfriend and I were at the exact same resort as you and PL the week before the Quinte Trip. (Brisas Gaurdalavaca). I himmed and hawwed and got hammered all week wondering if I should go but opted out cause my lady friend was less than interested. As well I couldn't find out a lot of info prior to going so I hit the bar and the buffet instead. After seeing your pictures I now have all the info I need. Next year for sure.
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Great Bass Fishing

Post by plowjock »

Have been to Cuba twice. Have caught fish up to 12.5 lbs LM Bass Generally we went end of February or 1st week March.All inclusive at that time for 1350.00 Cdn. Airfare the whole enchiladas. Flew out of Toronto to Cienfuegos and then Bussed for an hour into Lake Hannibania. Stayed at Government resort during off season Meals left something to think about not sure if the eggs we ate in the morning were hens, turtles, or god knows what. weather sure was great compared to Canadian COLD.
The outfit that we travelled through was One Stop travel in Hamilton I believe run by Brian McKinnon if memory serves me right. This agency went bankcrupt and do not have any other way of getting in touch with brian. He supposedly had special connections to get us into Hannibania.
Would gladly go back again, some GREAT TIMES had in CUBA also Fantastic Cigars.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

We paid $875 each 7 days all inclusive at a 4.5 star, direct flight from TO. If you're not fussy, last minute deals are the way to go. PL and I had no idea where we were going until 2 days prior! :D
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Sweet

Post by Legend »

:) Now that's something... Big Sea fish at aquarium prices!

I just got back from Southern California where the big thing is to charter a boat to go Tuna fishing in Mexican waters. All at the god fearing price of $3000 USD!!!

I bought some tackle from a local shop and got an earful from the owner. A typical Tuna setup runs between $800 - $1000. Either that, or it's pier fishing for Bonita, Sardines, and shovelnose sharks with your basic anodized spinning gear.

:) Cuba looks like a heck of a deal! Do I hear a Fish-Hawk trip in the making?

(Btw. For next year, I grabbed my secret plastic jerk bait - Amazing action on this thing!)

:) Legend