trib fishing Shelter Valley Creek

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
frasej
Participant
Participant

trib fishing Shelter Valley Creek

Post by frasej »

Thinking of getting back into some fishing for Bows Browns etc. I heard Shelter Valley Creek has some kind of run. If so is there any area for the public to fish? I also have a Stratos 275Xl pro Bass Boat can youm fish the mouth and is a launch nearby? I am from Kanata Ontario.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim Fraser
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Frase I shall awnser your ?'s in sequence they were asked

Yes, yes, no, and no.Yes S Valley gets a wicked run of fish, but it is all private property.

The only area to fish them is the mouth, from shore into the outflow.

No there is no public launch near by other that Coberg or Port Hope

And a boat to fish em prob wont get you into much fish.

I am heading this weekend out that way, if you need any help, info, or a free guide drop me a pm or gimmmie a buzz @ 446-0075(Rockland)

T.L F.F
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Shelter Valley

Post by Seaweed »

Hi

You can only fish from the CN tracks down to the mouth from shore. The mouth of the creek can be productive and is fun if the fish are co-operative. It can be cold and boring if they are not.

There is a launch near there on the lake, near Colborne. You have to hope for calm water... rare in the big lake... but I always thought it would be fun to try to fish near the mouth of a few of the feeder creeks that have runs in them.

I would suggest using floro red in a crankbait or flatfish and watch for the shoals. Personally I wouldn`t take my bassboat out though... I would opt for something with higher sides to deal with the waves.

Fishing from shore .... use roe bags ... or roe imatation bags with just enough float to keep them from sitting on the bottom. Use egg sinker setups and cast out and leave you bail open. I usuallly drive a piece of PVC piping taped to a length of broomstick and drive it into the sand and just set the rod in this. The key to doing this is to keep your line out of the waves coming to shore that will constantly pull your bait back to shore. You want to really chuck it out there when you cast it. Good luck.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Sry Seaweed, but the Shelter Valley creek is only fishable from shore by the mouth only.From the mouth all the way up past the 401 is all privately owned property.You must park in town and walk the beach to the creek mouth and stay off the land without permission from either the ministry or a land owner.The Ganny is only fishable from the cnr tracks out at this time of year, all other tribs towards the GTA are fishable from highway 2 down.

T.L F.F
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

FLOATFISHIN,

If the creek is navigable by any floating craft then you can fish from the water, though believe you cannot anchor and fish. I haven't been able to find any documenation as to whether this includes wading (assuming that you do not access the shore of any private property.

And as mentioned previously it's easy to just ask permission, maybe offer to bring a Tim's, etc. ;-)
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Tribz fishing

Post by Seaweed »

I stand corrected. Thanks for filling in the blanks there Floatfishin. I haven`t been into the tribs in many years so I am way out of touch with what is and isn`t doable out there.

I did however discover a couple of new creeks that I never knew were there and I will gladly share that info with you .... when we hook up and get me some salmonoid points for our team.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

You pick the date Seaweed a trip is always in my books, but to add some points for us makes it ohh so much sweeter :D

T.L F.F
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

On my trips to Shelter Valley years ago, we used to camp at a place not far from the 401 and your campsite was right beside the creek. The problem we found was it was standing room only at all the pools as you wade up and down the creek.

Wish I could remember the name for you...alas, memory like a sieve :!: :roll: