Old aluminium boat leaks!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
John Thompson
Participant
Participant

Old aluminium boat leaks!

Post by John Thompson »

Okay, I have an old Lund, leaks like a sieve. Not sure how I should go about fixing it. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks,

John
U.L.
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by U.L. »

If its the rivets that are leaking you can do a couple of things. You can reset them by puting something substatial be hind the rivet and hitting the head with a hammer or paint over the rivet inside the boat with a 2 part epoxy paint. That works very well. Did that with my old boat and it worked for years.

UL
John Thompson
Participant
Participant

Post by John Thompson »

Not sure where it's leaking. Can I gut the boat and paint the entire inside with the 2-part epoxy paint?
U.L.
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by U.L. »

I didn't have to gut mine as it was just a floating tin can. But that is what I did. I painted the whole inside. It was bullet proof. Just prep the aluminum and roller it. Its too thick to spray. In my case it was riets and it worked. Not sure about a seam, you may want to ask the paint dealer. Not sure if its a loose seam if there would be too much flexing.

UL
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by spinner »

I would try to locate the source of the leaking first before deciding what to do.
My suggestion would be to use a hose and fill the boat with a few inches while looking for the source of the leaks on the bottom and mark them as they are found.
justbass2
Participant
Participant

boat leaks

Post by justbass2 »

Canadian tire has a product it's a puddy in a tube for aluminum you tear off a piece squish it between your fingers to get the elements working and then press it into the problem area and presto it hardens like aluminum, I use it and it works great. They even have it for wood.

Go Fish
U.L.
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by U.L. »

Sounds like justbass2 has a cheaper and simpler method. I did it with paint because I wanted to paint the boat anyway so I caught 2 fish with one hook. I think thats the way the saying goes. Obviously John if jb2s way is more applicable that might be the way to go.

UL
SteveC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SteveC »

Somethings just aren't worth fighting. That's why God created bilge pumps!
John Thompson
Participant
Participant

Post by John Thompson »

Steve me boy, how's life treating ya? Believe me, I do have a bilge pump! You wouldn't believe how much water comes in though. I'd like to at least slow it down some?

Still playing hockey Sunday mornings?

John
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

I use silicone based Marine Sealant - it's beautiful stuff but a bit pricey at $13/tube. Once you find the leaks just smear some of that goop over them nice and thick and presto - problem solved. I ended up caulking the seams of my boat with it - did a great job slowing the sieve to a barely noticeable trickle.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
John Thompson
Participant
Participant

Post by John Thompson »

Thanks Saskie. Where would I get this stuff? Any marina?
spanky
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by spanky »

if you can find the leak(s) or have the extra coinage to spend, i'd use this stuff here..... it's about $6. per package at CTC

http://jbweld.com/coldweld.html

It's been filling the crack on my intake manifold (cast aluminum) on my car for a couple months now.... used to repair cracked engine blocks aswell.... they make more than just that 1 aswell :)
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

I bought it at Crappy Tire. It was in the boating section right beside the putty stuff others mentioned. I tried that too but it didn't work so well. I'd say it would be better for a puncture type hole/leak, but this goopy stuff seems to work better for sprung seams and popped rivets which was my problem.
There are few problems in life which can not be solved with a well-placed, high-explosive projectile.
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

You know what!! I have an old aluminum to and it leaks... I think of it as a bigger livewell and leave it as it is!!

I got mine re welded since I found where the leak was then re applied some silicone!!
ken & Jo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ken & Jo »