2024 Ontario Fishing Regulation and bait updates

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fishern00b
Participant
Participant

2024 Ontario Fishing Regulation and bait updates

Post by fishern00b »

https://www.ontario.ca/document/ontario ... ns-summary
https://www.ontario.ca/files/2023-12/mn ... -11-v2.pdf

Starting from Jan 1st we are allowed to move preserved minnows between BMZ's. It's an improvement as I won't be required to dispose my leftover minnows, dead or live, every time when I go home from fishing on Shirleys.

https://ero.ontario.ca/notice/019-7215
Enabling preserved bait to be transported to other BMZs may help address local supply issues in some areas, may assist remote tourism camps in the Far North obtain dead baitfish for their clients (provided it has also been preserved), would allow anglers to preserve bait for use in another BMZ and would enable the importation of preserved bait.
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: 2024 Ontario Fishing Regulation and bait updates

Post by Fisherman89 »

Cool thanks for the update on preserved bait. In the regs they don't specify what preservation methods are acceptable, but based on the proposal you've linked sounds like salt would be acceptable. From the regs:
*New* Preserved baitish or leeches may be transported into or out of BMZs if the bait:
• is dead,
• has been preserved (treated or prepared in a manner to prevent decay or decompositon) using a method of preservaton other than refrigeraton or freezing.

The regs are still a bit confusing about whether you're allowed to take your live bait back into Zone 18 after being in Zone 12 (Ottawa River):
The Great Lakes and Otawa River are not considered BMZs. Baitish and leeches may be moved from an adjacent BMZ into the Great Lakes or Otawa River, provided they are not moved through another BMZ. Baitish and leeches can only be moved out of the Great Lakes or Otawa River into an adjacent BMZ to be disposed of immediately more than 30 m from the water.
So, if I buy minnows from a local shop in Zone 18 and then go fish the Ottawa, can I bring my leftovers back home? Should I "preserve" them on the ice before heading back into Zone 18? Haha. I wish they would clarify that better.
fishern00b
Participant
Participant

Re: 2024 Ontario Fishing Regulation and bait updates

Post by fishern00b »

I agree, more clarity on this topic in the regs would be helpful.
So, if I buy minnows from a local shop in Zone 18 and then go fish the Ottawa, can I bring my leftovers back home? Should I "preserve" them on the ice before heading back into Zone 18?
This is also my understanding of how it's written, if we have some minnows left and we want to use them next time we could preserve them before re-entering Zone 18. Personally I'm going to try and use a ziplock with some salt or a small jar of rubbing alcohol for this purpose. Once I'm home I can keep preserved minnows in the fridge till next time.