Shirley's Bay 2023 Ice season

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Shirley's Bay 2023 Ice season

Post by CCLad »

Thanks for mentioning! Although I highly doubt that anyone posting on this thread has anything to do with the littering, I couldn't agree more. We end up with our hut a ways out on the bay and it seems like we have to stop at least once on the commute to pick up someone's trash. The worlds not your garbage can!
Gmarty03
Participant
Participant

Post by Gmarty03 »

The Forecast is lookin pretty good these next couple weeks🤞
WayneS
Participant
Participant

Post by WayneS »

I was down there yesterday afternoon. Ice looks good but did not go out, there was one guy in a tent about 300 yards out but he was the only one.
Mitch24
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mitch24 »

Hey everyone!

Ice still sketchy? Any pop-ups out there? Would check if I was in town but I'm an out of towner that comes by Shirley's a couple times an ice season. Praying for cold weather.

Cheers,
Mitch
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Mitch24 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:47 pm Hey everyone!

Ice still sketchy? Any pop-ups out there? Would check if I was in town but I'm an out of towner that comes by Shirley's a couple times an ice season. Praying for cold weather.

Cheers,
Mitch
-16°C tonight, should be making real good ice. Unfortunately hanging around 0° for a couple days later in the week but shouldn't hurt the ice at all.
Smitty

Straight shooter
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

I might head down to the bay this weekend and punch a few holes. If I make it I'll be sure to post. Anyone gets there first, let us all know :)
Mitch24
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mitch24 »

Wicked thanks for the updates! Can't wait to get out there.
Cheers everyone, stay safe.
MVRKSMVN50
Participant
Participant

Post by MVRKSMVN50 »

First ice season in Ottawa since I moved up for school.

I've been reading other years threads for Shirleys Bay and decided to give it a try today from 2:30-6:30pm. Ice is around 6-7" pretty consistently out to where I was at 10ish feet of water, probably out about 500yds. There was one vehicle out on the ice near a hut, a little early for my liking but seemed to have survived. Despite fishing prime time I didn't get one bite, which was on par with what I was hearing from others. Didn't have minnows but I was stopped on the way out by conservation who was looking to see if I got bait and where it was from, told me to keep the receipts if I do get bait this season.

Couple of questions:
Is Shirleys Bay usually slow or is there a trick or location rule I should learn?
Since I live downtown, I heard Manotick would probably be the closest place to get bait. Is there anywhere more on the way?
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

Thanks for the report! I may try to get out there tomorrow.
Didn't have minnows but I was stopped on the way out by conservation who was looking to see if I got bait and where it was from, told me to keep the receipts if I do get bait this season.
Hmm, you shouldn't require a receipt if you're fishing in your "home" BMZ or on the Ottawa River. From the Ontario Bait Regs: "Receipts are not required when an angler is using baitfish or leeches in the BMZ where their primary residence is located, in the Great Lakes or Ottawa River, or for other forms of bait (such as worms)."
Is Shirleys Bay usually slow or is there a trick or location rule I should learn
I find bait is a must at Shirleys, otherwise it's hard to get the fish to commit. I like to tip my jigging spoons or rattle baits with a minnow head. I've found 3:00 to 6:00 PM is usually the prime bite, but they'll keep biting later too. I usually fish between 9' to 13', I think there's a ledge out there around 9', but I'm not exactly sure where. There is a map that gets posted on here occasionally outlining it.
Since I live downtown, I heard Manotick would probably be the closest place to get bait. Is there anywhere more on the way?
Manotick is good, but out of the way. I really like Charly's bait in Rockland, but that would be out of the way for you too. The closest place for you would probably be Serge (Brittania Bait). You just call ahead and let him know what you want.
Fordpodolski
Participant
Participant

Post by Fordpodolski »

Got out yesterday as well. Was sitting in 8.9ft with 9” of ice under us. Had non stop dink walleye action. Par for the course for what the previous years produced. Still tons of fun. Was .3km out. There was a group way way out on the left hand side as well.

We were using minnows from Serge. MNR stopped us too but didn’t mention anything about the receipt or anything. The fishies took all our dozen so didn’t have any left to show. Must have been 10 or so huts by the time we left, around 5:30.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Hey Fisherman89, if you are heading west from downtown give serge a call (was posted by someone before on here) . He lives north of the Queensway and just west of pinecrest on Grennnon road. You call ahead, order your minnows and they will be bagged and waiting for you. Serge you run Britannia bait and tackle as well I believe he was a bait wholesaler for this region. His cell is 613 791-7435.

And for fishing on the bay, minnows are a must and of course depending on what you are fishing for, 2 hours before sunset to about an hour and a half past is prime time!

Good luck,
CCLad.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Sorry, should have added, thanks for sharing the ice info! Much appreciated. Huts going out next weekend!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

MVRKSMVN50 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:02 pm First ice season in Ottawa since I moved up for school.

I've been reading other years threads for Shirleys Bay and decided to give it a try today from 2:30-6:30pm. Ice is around 6-7" pretty consistently out to where I was at 10ish feet of water, probably out about 500yds. There was one vehicle out on the ice near a hut, a little early for my liking but seemed to have survived. Despite fishing prime time I didn't get one bite, which was on par with what I was hearing from others. Didn't have minnows but I was stopped on the way out by conservation who was looking to see if I got bait and where it was from, told me to keep the receipts if I do get bait this season.

Couple of questions:
Is Shirleys Bay usually slow or is there a trick or location rule I should learn?
Serge is definitely where you want to get your bait. If you go back on my posts from years past I posted a map or two showing the structure where there always used to be a group of shacks. You want to be right on the ledge where it drops. I also posted some other tips I've learned from many years of fishing there. Depending where you are the evening run is critical. Also I've always found that your minnows need to be real close to bottom, a foot too high and bites will be limited. Current is always a good thing to find as well, but ice thickness will be less so take care earlier in the season.In main river current the ice is a good 6" behind the bay itself.
Good luck
Smitty

Straight shooter
Ragehunter
Participant
Participant

Post by Ragehunter »

Nice thing about Manotick Bait is they also sell bags of dead minnows at a cheap price. Since myself, like most, just use the heads, buying 3 or 4 bags of dead minnows normally does me an entire season. I still have a bag or 2 left in my freezer from last winter.
I'll never apologize for being a hunter (or a fisherman)!
MVRKSMVN50
Participant
Participant

Post by MVRKSMVN50 »

Thanks for the tips!

I ended up going again last night with minnows from Serge. I found deeper water with some current and ended up with a couple sauger and a small walleye, missed something a little bit bigger close to the hole before the bite died at around 5:45. Ice quickly went from 7" to about 3.5-4" where I was. Hoping to get out again sometime this week.