Not A "Crappie" Day!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not A "Crappie" Day!!!

Post by JimW »

I fished the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters annual multi-species fun tournament today. The goal is to catch one of 7 different species ... walleye, pike, crappie, yellow perch, bluegill, pumpkinseed and rock bass, in the 5 hour time limit. The winning team is whom ever catches all 7 species, if multiple teams catch all 7 species then the lengths of the 7 fish are added together to decide the winner. Walleye and crappie are usually the 2 hardest species to find.

We started the day at a popular walleye spot on the lake, but no luck with the walleye, but we did get a couple small pike and a rock bass, so 2 of 7 species down.
We moved around throughout the day fishing from 2 feet of water to 30 feet of water... catching a few panfish, numerous pike and a few walleye!!!! With 10 minutes to go in the tournament a catch 6" perch and we now have 6 of the 7 species in the boat..... just missing a crappie.

Unfortunately it was not a "crappie" day.... and no luck finding a black crappie so we finished the day with 6 of 7 species, two teams caught all 7. Oh well it was a fun morning on the water.

The hot bait for me was a couple different underspin lures, with soft plastic minnow tails and Liquid Mayhem nightcrawler and shad scents, catching all of my fish, except the perch.... the pike really liked them and I came home with a few less than I started the day with.

Here are a few photos... all fish released to catch next year

Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Not A "Crappie" Day!!!

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Not a "Crappie" Day at all there bro!!!! Glad to see you all had fun, and I like the setting for sure!!! I've yet to try the under spins, but the proof is in the photo's eh bro!!! We were at the cottage this W.E and if it was a rock bass tourney look out LOL only one small eye and a few pike, but fun indeed!

Glad to see ya out bro!

F.F