Ottawa River Reg.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Wally
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ottawa River Reg.

Post by Wally »

Hi guys, i'm going fishing on the Ottawa river this weekend and was wandering if anybody knows if you can fish on the Quebec side of the river with a Ontario fishing
license. What's the real Regulation if you would get stop.......Thanks...Wally
tacklebox
Participant
Participant

Re: Ottawa River Reg.

Post by tacklebox »

Check with Quebec Ministry the last time I checked you can fish the Ottawa R with your Ontario license even from shore but you must fish the Ottawa in accordance to your license But you should phone the Quebec Ministry to be sure and safe ... Tacklebox
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigC »

Not an issue as long as you're following Québec's rules on live bait and possession limits, etc. while in QC water. They were trying to mirror the regs in border waters but not sure if that has happened yet.

Also they do not recognise the senior license, so if you have an over 65 that fishes with no license they might get a ticket. Situation I was aware of, guy fought it and he didn't have to pay.
Ragehunter
Participant
Participant

Post by Ragehunter »

Also, if I recall, QC does not recognize the ONT Conservation License as valid on their side of the Ottawa. A regular license is required. I was told this when I asked about the Ottawa License requirements on the QC a few yrs ago.
I'll never apologize for being a hunter (or a fisherman)!
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigC »

That right.

Thought about that last night.
Wally
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Wally »

Thanks guys, so if i have a sport Ontario license i can fish on the Quebec side of the river by boat but have to follow their regulation ,no minnows.
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigC »

Correct.

No live minnows is the rule I believe.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

This is about 65 years old and over. Here is the reply I got from Que. MNR

Hello,  Further to your request, indeed, in area 25 an Ontarian who fishes in the part of this area located in Quebec, does not have to obtain a Quebec fishing license. He must carry his Ontario fishing license.

In addition, in Ontario, children, people 65 and over, people with disabilities, veterans and the military do not need fishing licenses.

Thus, when they fish in zone 25 on the Quebec side, they therefore do not need a fishing license
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

This is about 65 years old and over. Here is the reply I got from Que. MNR

Hello,  Further to your request, indeed, in area 25 an Ontarian who fishes in the part of this area located in Quebec, does not have to obtain a Quebec fishing license. He must carry his Ontario fishing license.

In addition, in Ontario, children, people 65 and over, people with disabilities, veterans and the military do not need fishing licenses.

Thus, when they fish in zone 25 on the Quebec side, they therefore do not need a fishing license
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

emailed the quebec mnr a few years ago and was told they only recognize a ontario sport license because when the rules where written the ontario side did not have a conservation license at that time. Wish i had kept that email!

this was there reply what I got as a reply to my question

Can you explain why a valid conservation Ontario license is not valid on the Quebec side of the Ottawa river for somebody that does not keep fish? I am just trying to understand why my fishing license is not recognize?

Martin

Unfortunately, the way the law was written, it was not expected that there would be conservation fishing licence. Michel Daigneault, sergentAgent de liaisonDirection de la protection de la FauneMinistère du Développement durable,de l'Environnement, de la Faune et des Parcs16 Impasse de la Gare-Talon RC 100Gatineau (Québec) J8T 0B1Tel : 819 246 4827 poste 291Fax: 819 246 5049michel.daigneault@mrn.gouv.qc.ca