Deep diving crank baits for bass

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Still Chasing
Participant
Participant

Deep diving crank baits for bass

Post by Still Chasing »

How many of you fish deep diving crank baits in the summer. Do you use them for both small mouth and large mouth. What depth do you fish to. What baits do you recommend. I must admit that about 10 am I put them away. I don't seem to have the confidence in them after that, probably because most of my baits go 4-6 feet deep. Please help me add to my tackle box. Thankyou.
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Deep diving crank baits for bass

Post by Corvus Lacus »

Frankly, once Bass (LM or SM) are deeper than 10 feet, I too put away the crankbaits. I'll use deep-running cranks/sticks long-line trolling for Walleye...Tail Dancers, Reef Runners, DD Husky Jerks, etc....but I find just casting them on their own doesn't get them into the Zone.
When Bass move off the shallow flats...on to deeper weedlines, points, saddles, offshore humps...I tend to focus on finesse presentations with plastics...drop shot, Ned Rig, moping.
However, there are occasions when Bass will move out over deep water, but stay shallow. I've caught suspended SM with Spooks/walkin-the-dog baits/poppers on the surface over a 100+ fow, when they're busting Ciscoes or Shiners on the surface.

As for filling your tackle box...I like the Japanese Cranks, especially square bills...Lucky Craft, MegaBass, JackAll..they'll fill your box, but empty your wallet...
And don't get me wrong, the mfgr's above make some beautiful looking deep-divers too...they just don't seem to work for me
The tug is the drug..
Dcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Deep diving crank baits for bass

Post by Dcaster »

I love smashing deep diving crankbaits against rocks for SM or LM, and always have a low ratio crankbait setup tied and ready.

DT10's are one of my favorites.....i use them in about 8-12 FOW.

I always tie my crankbaits with a loop knot on fluorocarbon for maximum action and feel :D