Shirleys Bay reports

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Shirleys Bay reports

Post by scarkner »

I have been on Shirleys twice this year, first time landed 15 between three of us, all around sundown. Went out again for a mid-afternoon fish and the perch were INSANE in terms of numbers, but not biting very hard. Was fun to watch them on camera and a few did make it topside. Out of all the fish caught, only one small walleye was kept.

Heading out again today... hoping to drive on.

I haven't had my A-Frame trailer on yet this year and am thinking that it may not get on the ice at all.
Fordpodolski
Participant
Participant

Post by Fordpodolski »

Report back on how driving out went! Planning on doing so this weekend.. I’ve been out about 10 or so times this year and have been semi productive. Will be nice to drive out!
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Fordpodolski wrote:Report back on how driving out went! Planning on doing so this weekend.. I’ve been out about 10 or so times this year and have been semi productive. Will be nice to drive out!
Well - first off, I clearly jinxed myself by saying fishing was good this year... got out yesterday from around 4pm until 8pm and didn't catch a damn thing, not even a perch! We were way out in the current in about 16 fow.

Driving - Well... there's quite a few idiots driving on 6 inches of black ice (with 3 inches of white crap on top). Not sure how they didn't go in...

I drove out about 300m from shore (where the trailer is) and found 12 inches of ice (9 black and 3 of white crap). I felt that was "far enough" for my little tacoma.

Snow is deep in some places with a small amount of slush here and there, but my buddies didn't have any problems with their AWD Subaru cars. Snow gets shallower out past the huts.

Hope that helps.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Steve as you know I like fishing the current areas as well but I've never had any luck in water that deep come evening and into the night. I've always had the best luck in the 8-12ft range and closer to shore. Just saying you may have been too deep, hence the no bites.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Had a good outing yesterday. Got 4 walleye, 2 small ones but the other 2 were nice bars of gold. (and 2 ling) The one in the pic was a little over 3.5lbs and the other one I got was pushing 5lbs! No pics of the bigger girl as I was way too busy getting my jig back down the hole. I sent the all the fish, particularly the big girls, back down the hole to give them both a chance to spawn - Although they did look YUMMY!!!
Walleye Jan 22 (3).jpg
Walleye Jan 22 (3).jpg (125.86 KiB) Viewed 2829 times
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

Oh Timmy, that’s a beauty!!
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Slow eve last night.. 2 small eye's. They were barely tapping the minnow last night. Funny, seems allot of times when it goes from a low pressure (snow) to a high pressure system (clear and really cold) the fish turn off... Maybe its just me but defiantly something I have noticed...
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

CCLad wrote:Slow eve last night.. 2 small eye's. They were barely tapping the minnow last night. Funny, seems allot of times when it goes from a low pressure (snow) to a high pressure system (clear and really cold) the fish turn off... Maybe its just me but defiantly something I have noticed...
You're right on the money. They don't like sudden changes much like us humans. :D The action picks up after a few days of the same type of weather... So they should be on fire during this upcoming full moon week. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
Fordpodolski
Participant
Participant

Post by Fordpodolski »

CCLad wrote:Slow eve last night.. 2 small eye's. They were barely tapping the minnow last night. Funny, seems allot of times when it goes from a low pressure (snow) to a high pressure system (clear and really cold) the fish turn off... Maybe its just me but defiantly something I have noticed...
A friend and I were out Saturday as well. From 4-8:30. Saw a walleye on the cam hanging around for the better part but not a bite at all..
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

Yep I concur. Was out all yesterday and pretty slow, caught one sauger 11".
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Hey FordP, was that you setting up a red pop up (beside a black one) and a permanent hut?
Fordpodolski
Participant
Participant

Post by Fordpodolski »

CCLad wrote:Hey FordP, was that you setting up a red pop up (beside a black one) and a permanent hut?
And fighting like hell setting it up? Haha, yes sir
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Didnt look like fun setting it up! Went out last eve, we ended up with 9 all small tough. Low pressure, bite was on....
Fordpodolski
Participant
Participant

Post by Fordpodolski »

CCLad wrote:Didnt look like fun setting it up! Went out last eve, we ended up with 9 all small tough. Low pressure, bite was on....
Good to know! Probably try to head out tomorrow. Trying to get every last drop out of that tent, all the poles usually fall out haha. All biting on full minnows?
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

3 were on the still line and 6 came from a horizontal jigging - I have a technique that I have developed for the jigging. Too in-depth to write it out. I'd gladly show you if you want...

All fish caught were tipped with a whole minnow