Clyde River

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
threeparrots
Participant
Participant

Clyde River

Post by threeparrots »

Hi everyone!

I recently replied to a post in the fly fishing section regarding trout near Ottawa, but since I'm not too sure how much action that side gets, I thought I'd ask here.

Clyde River. Any trout? The MNR site says it's stocked with Browns and Rainbows. Does anyone fish this river? Success? Any areas worth fishing?

Thanks!
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Clyde River

Post by Fisherman89 »

I can't speak to success on the Clyde since I haven't fished it myself (yet), but I often see a car or two parked here along Wolf Grove Rd, when I'm heading to/from one of my fishing spots. They likely launch canoe or kayaks from there, not sure if they fish upstream or down.

Note: on Google street view (image from 2012) there are "no parking" signs posted there, I don't recall seeing those when driving by, so I'll make sure to check next time I'm out that way.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

I drive by there all the time on the way to my cottage. I've never seen people fishing the banks, i think it is more recreational canoers and yakkers. I've never noticed a no parking sign either.

I've also never heard anyone speak of trout in the clyde.

Quick Google search and ya the stocking lists show the Clyde, i also found an article on building walleye spawning beds right in the town of Lanark.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

I use to fish the Clyde River around Clydeville and Herrons Mills often, as my in-laws cottage is not too far away. I have not fished it in 6 or 7 years. In that area it is a warm water fishery I have caught LM and SM bass, walleye, perch, sunfish, rock bass, bullhead and american eel. I think the trout are up towards French Line/Clyde Forks area but I have no first hand experience with them.

JimW
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
threeparrots
Participant
Participant

Post by threeparrots »

Wow! Thanks for the info, everyone!

I'll make sure I give the Clyde a good fish sometime soon (late Aug, Sept) and report back here.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

I drove over the clyde today on wolf grove road. There's definitely a no parking sign there
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Mick wrote:I drove over the clyde today on wolf grove road. There's definitely a no parking sign there
It was always private property, he got tired of folks trespassing.
Smitty

Straight shooter
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

The land between Wolf Grove Rd and the Clyde River is actually not private... See property boundary map below.
The no parking sign is likely municipal, and valid. You can access the Clyde River there, but park somewhere else.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

I drove by it yesterday

The no parking sign is due to a fire route. I didn't see the pipi, was driving too quick, but it's common to see pipes on small creeks and rivers where rural fire fighters drawer water on their way to a fire
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Out4trout wrote:The land between Wolf Grove Rd and the Clyde River is actually not private... See property boundary map below.
The no parking sign is likely municipal, and valid. You can access the Clyde River there, but park somewhere else.
Crown land use Policy Atlas shows all that land as private. I assume that photo is municipal boundaries. I guess you could launch a canoe or yak or the like. People used to walk the shoreline on the south side of Wolfgrove which is all private land.
Smitty

Straight shooter
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

smitty55 wrote:
Out4trout wrote:The land between Wolf Grove Rd and the Clyde River is actually not private... See property boundary map below.
Crown land use Policy Atlas shows all that land as private. I assume that photo is municipal boundaries. I guess you could launch a canoe or yak or the like. People used to walk the shoreline on the south side of Wolfgrove which is all private land.
Yes, the CLUPA does not show deeded parcel data. The property between the red lines is deeded roadway parcel. Roadway lands are either municipally owned or provincially owned land, depending on which road. Because Wolfgrove Road is a municipal road, not Provincial, the land between Wolfgrove Rd and the Clyde River is municipally owned. The same rights apply on that land as they do on a municipal road. Including "No Parking" LOL
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

I have waded parts of the upper Clyde (upstream french line) a while back. Access ? Not sure it was legit but via bushwhacking to and following the Creek.

Anyhow, i found SM bass and creek chubs but in places there are ice cold springs flowing, even in hot summer. You notice cause you'll pass one and your legs are frozen. I was pretty surprised. I could imagine trout populations doing well at some spots. Not sure where they stock though. I doubt this info is that helpful, but I certainly understand why trout could survive there.

Worth a shot.
threeparrots
Participant
Participant

Post by threeparrots »

Great info, everyone! Many thanks.

Kind of feels like I'll be on a wild goose chase, but with nothing to lose. If anyone gets out there in the meantime, please let us know how it goes!
loophole
Participant
Participant

Post by loophole »

I have fished various sections of the Clyde (although not for the last 3 years) and never once saw a trout. Fall fish and bass only. I came to the conclusion that the MNR was essentially feeding young trout to the resident walleye and bass. Hope I'm wrong about that. I'll check in another time to see how you made out.
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

I live 2 minutes away. Caught brown trout in the Clyde over 10 years ago, all were in around 10-12 inches. I have not seen a trout in the Clyde since then. The no parking sign is for the fire route but there is parking around.
I swim in the river often enough and bring the fishing rod, I can tell you the fishing has gone downhill in the past years for everything.