Sight Fishing for Mooneye

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Sight Fishing for Mooneye

Post by zippyfx »

I went to one of my regular fishing spots last night. Its usually good for channels and walleye but being at the end of spillway you find just about anything there from Musky to Carp. Every now and again the mooneye run in. Last night there was a massive hatch going on, so I reset my expectations. They were gorging on mayfly and all I had was worms The lights at spillway were drawing in the mayflies which were drawing in the fish (I saw massive pike and walleye cruising by before the sun went down)
With a bit of perseverance, some small hooks and small worm segment I was able to entice a number to bite... the water was murky but before the sun set I was seeing belly flashes but unable to make out the fish. I started casting but initially they were turning their noses up to what ever was not a may fly. No matter how I tried I could not get a mayfly on my hook nicely. Being able to see them, It was fun watching them approach the bait, swim past turn around and the take it on the second or third pass. I figured out that my best luck was coming when I cast near group of them and they out competed themselves in a frenzy. I went 2 for 6 (with a small channel thrown in) as it was difficult to bring them from the spillway on my UL I lost the rest trying to hoist them up.

Nyarlathotep
Participant
Participant

Re: Sight Fishing for Mooneye

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Way to go, those are great and unique looking catches! It's always a bonus when these posts have detailed "how it was done" info as well.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Very cool Zippy!
Thanks for sharing
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Thanks Guys!

Nyarlathotep, that's originally what drew me to fish-hawk. With the (what seems to be) facebook fishing revolution (great becuase its easy) there seems to me be less colour commentary on fishing technique and backdrops. Everything seems to be taking a back seat to quick picks and short attention spans.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

oh wow, that's so cool! I caught my very first this year!