What's the law???

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BillyBones
Participant
Participant

What's the law???

Post by BillyBones »

If my cousin has a Quebec fishing license is he allowed to launch from the Ontario
side of the Ottawa River??? Billy Bones
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: What's the law???

Post by smitty55 »

Any can launch a boat from anywhere. But I realize you are talking about fishing. In a shared provincial boundary zone like the Ottawa anyone can launch and fish from either shore so long as they follow the fishing regs for the side of the river they are in. Like don't bring live minnows from the Ontario waters side of the river to the Quebec side or you will be fined.
Saying that, for your own comfort you might want to clarify that with a CO.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
BillyBones
Participant
Participant

Post by BillyBones »

Thanks Smitty, wasn't sure but I thought that it would be something like that. I will check it
out a bit more just to be sure. My cousin lives on the west island of Montreal and we're planning
a couple of Muskie trips around Wendover, meet half way so to speak. We used to fish the St.
Lawrance River some 50 years ago, thought that it might be fun to get out together again...

Billy Bones
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Smitty is correct. Where you launch means nothing. Follow the regs of what side you are on and you're good to go with either license.

RJ
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Keep in mind that with your Ontario license you can go up the rivers on the Quebec side that feed into the Ottawa river to the first bridge, but with a Quebec fishing you cannot enter any rivers on the Ontario side, because they are in a different FMZ than the Ottawa River.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Livebaitpro
Participant
Participant

Post by Livebaitpro »

Yes, I checked this with a ministry.
With Ontario licence you can fish Quebec side and vice versa.

'Livebaitpro.