What's for Dinner ?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Corvus Lacus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

What's for Dinner ?

Post by Corvus Lacus »

Got out on my home lake for a couple of hours hoping for some gold or black/silver fish for a fish fry tonight. Struck out on those, but did find some Northerns cruising around the mouth of one of the creeks. This one inhaled my Sluggo (yeah, old school) a little too deeply, so kept him for dinner.
If you haven't tried Pike, it's right up there with Walleye or Crappie... firm, white flakey meat. If you didn't know where it came from, you wouldn't know the difference. The challenge, of course, is those pesky Y bones. After watching some YouTube videos, and a very sharp knife...I have honed (pun intended) my surgical skills so there's very little waste in slicing up perfectly boneless fillets.

Hopefully, the warmer weather gets the Walleye and Crappie active again the next few days. Btw, the blackflies are brutal right now, but that's usually a sign the fish will be biting too...

My resident raptor showed up for his summer vacation today.
Attachments
IMG_2199.jpg
IMG_2199.jpg (113.44 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
IMG_20200512_194629.jpg
IMG_20200512_194629.jpg (48.94 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
The tug is the drug..
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: What's for Dinner ?

Post by Out4trout »

Great report, nice pike and a bird pic to boot!!