noisy reel when casting

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Moobe
Participant
Participant

noisy reel when casting

Post by Moobe »

Hey all

Hope everyone had a great summer and got a lot of time out on the water. Fall is here so its time to get em as they put on the feed bags so good luck.

I'm hoping someone can help, I have two Diawa Tatula one SV spool and the other just the regular spool. Both make a loud squeal when i cast. The reel casts seemingly as far as usual and retrieves without issue they both just scream when I cast. I'd like to say its due to my EXTREME CASTING DISTANCES AND SPEED...but i know no body would buy that. I'm wondering if anyone had a similar experience and had a solution (DIY). I looked online and all I can find is tips for standard centrifugal brakes. This didn't help due to the diawa magforce brake. I really rather not ship the reels to get serviced if I dont have to.

Thanks in advance
Ben
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: noisy reel when casting

Post by Wallyboss »

Did it just start doing that? Could it be your line that makes that noise?
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Moobe
Participant
Participant

Post by Moobe »

Hey.. yup it just started, Thought it was line issue too.. $35 in new line and still same noise.
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

Was it like that when you first got it?

How long have you owned the reel? When was the last time you had the reel serviced?

I would start off by dropping a little in the spool and frame bearings and then clean the spool rim and oil that and the spool shaft lightly.
Moobe
Participant
Participant

Post by Moobe »

ok - ill give the oil a try..thanks for the suggestion. It was never loud before - just started last time i was out. on BOTH reels!
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Sounds like a dirty bearing. The reel most likely needs a good cleaning. Apparently lots of videos on You Tube, but I prefer to send my reels off to get checked. If you call me at the store I can give you the address for the Daiwa service center, or just google Aikman's Sporting Goods.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Moobe wrote:Hey all

Hope everyone had a great summer and got a lot of time out on the water. Fall is here so its time to get em as they put on the feed bags so good luck.

I'm hoping someone can help, I have two Diawa Tatula one SV spool and the other just the regular spool. Both make a loud squeal when i cast. The reel casts seemingly as far as usual and retrieves without issue they both just scream when I cast. I'd like to say its due to my EXTREME CASTING DISTANCES AND SPEED...but i know no body would buy that. I'm wondering if anyone had a similar experience and had a solution (DIY). I looked online and all I can find is tips for standard centrifugal brakes. This didn't help due to the diawa magforce brake. I really rather not ship the reels to get serviced if I dont have to.

Thanks in advance
Ben
If you're local or close to Gatineau, I can break it down and clean it for you.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
frostypaws
Participant
Participant

Post by frostypaws »

Facebook The Reel Garage or look under kijiji reel repair he does amazing work and you can ship right to him, located in The Bay of Quinte area.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

Check your spool drag pins. It is very common for these to make a racket and chatter on a cast. They wear and get dirty.
Clean and very very lightly, like put a spot on a q-tip and run it around the inside of the brake ring. this will clean it and lube it a bit for the brakes. Do it light enough and it won't interfere. Push in the ones you have set and engage some new ones. If magnetic, clean the magnets and plate.
Very common.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Lunker Larry wrote:Check your spool drag pins. It is very common for these to make a racket and chatter on a cast. They wear and get dirty.
Clean and very very lightly, like put a spot on a q-tip and run it around the inside of the brake ring. this will clean it and lube it a bit for the brakes. Do it light enough and it won't interfere. Push in the ones you have set and engage some new ones. If magnetic, clean the magnets and plate.
Very common.
It's a Daiwa, there's no pins.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Take it to an ausurized dealer and have it repaired....