Brook trout fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Sportsman570
Participant
Participant

Brook trout fishing

Post by Sportsman570 »

Hi so I’m new to this forum, I’ve been fishing bass for years. I live in Ottawa and Looking to get into brook trout fishing just I love the idea of it in the backwoods and stuff. I’ve tried a few lakes that I found on stocking maps and nothing. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or if there’s like a group of guys that get together and fish together. I love the fact of working hard to find the spots but just a slight shove in the right direction would be nice. Thanks and hope to get involved in a lot of chats with everyone. Cheers
Nyarlathotep
Participant
Participant

Re: Brook trout fishing

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Hey, Sportsman570, here are some notes on my experience with stocked brook trout fishing in the Ottawa area (i.e., within about a 100km drive of Ottawa) in Ontario:

- The trout are stocked for the most part as yearlings, about ¼ to ½ lbs in size, in June or July
- You can easily catch them from September to November in shallow water, using some sort of hook and sinker rig baited with worms; the trout will still be small though, and will also still have that pale “hatchery” meat
- The stocked lakes will be fished out each season by ice fishermen; the more accessible lakes will get completely fished out, while the more remote lakes will see a few surviving trout making it through to the spring
- These surviving trout, in the ¾ to 1 lb range, can be caught as described above in the spring from April to June
- If you’re interested in catching these fish, I would recommend trying the stocked lakes just south of Calabogie; some of the lakes can be accessed with a 2wd vehicle and would be ideal for September to November fishing for small, recently stocked trout, while the more remote lakes with surviving spring holdovers can only be reached using 4wd vehicles, ATVs, and/or hiking
Sportsman570
Participant
Participant

Post by Sportsman570 »

Hey Nyarlathotep. Thanks for responding with those tips. Really appreciate it. Just some other questions if u don’t mind. What size hooks and line. Do u run a smaller line leader? Also do u let it sink to the bottom or use a float tube or something like that? Also how long is a good round time to fish a certain spot before moving on? Anything in the water I should be looking for like colour, temperature, trees or rocks ? When would you use a fly rod ? Is that something I should look into as well ? Cheers thanks again for responding.
Nyarlathotep
Participant
Participant

Post by Nyarlathotep »

PM sent.
Fishin_is_life
Participant
Participant

Post by Fishin_is_life »

Hey guys new to te site a die hard trout fisher I am from Ottawa area but usually to most my trout fishing on the Quebec side but have been hearing calabogie area is the place to go getting ready for some ice fishing and wondering if anyone fishes that area?
jp95
Participant
Participant

Post by jp95 »

Algonquin park has some of the best brook trout fishing in the world. In regards to specific lakes and rivers in the park I don't have any special suggestions other than what a quick google search could provide you with. I know Booth lake has brook trout lake trout, bass and I think pike too. Almost all lakes have lake trout and many are stocked with splake. I'd recommend camping for a couple days there and having a fishing trip. A portage trip will be needed to get to the lakes with less fishing pressure.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Worms!