Clayton Lake depth chart

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Clayton Lake depth chart

Post by fishmaster »

Hi folks, long time since I’ve been on the board here. I’m heading to Clayton lake tomorrow for a little fun fish and was wondering if anyone knows where I might find a depth chart (or a rough guideline of one) for the lake. Planning to launch right in the town of Clayton. Fished the lake like 20 years ago with a local so they knew the lake and showed me around the last time but this time I’m on my own. I know the place is full of logs and stumps but just looking for a guideline as to where is safe to run on the lake. Thanks folks.
Marty
Thanks to my great supporters Deep River Outfitters, Shimano Canada and Hunters Bay Marine.
BoosterMcCall
Participant
Participant

Re: Clayton Lake depth chart

Post by BoosterMcCall »

Some of Clayton Lake is on Navionics (can use the free web app if you don't have a subscription). Taylor Lake (the lower half), is not. Take it slow and be on the lookout for stumps, and you'll be fine.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

The first thing I checked was the web app and Clayton isn't there, maybe on the paid version. Just make sure your engine isn't locked down. Stumps are nowhere near as high and hard as they used to be. If you're launching at that little park in town Google Earth clearly shows the river channel. https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Clayto ... 4585?hl=en

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

smitty55 wrote:The first thing I checked was the web app and Clayton isn't there, maybe on the paid version. Just make sure your engine isn't locked down. Stumps are nowhere near as high and hard as they used to be. If you're launching at that little park in town Google Earth clearly shows the river channel. https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Clayto ... 4585?hl=en

Cheers
I stand corrected. It was pointed out that if you click on the icon in the bottom corner the depth chart will show up on Clayton. That being said the location of the deep water as you come out of the channel from Taylor lake is clearly wrong as the point on the right is quite deep as is the bay around the corner.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

Thanks for all the info folks. Ended up launching at the campsite. The launch in town was just a little to sketchy for my boat. Had a decent day out there. Took us a bit to put them on a pattern but managed to put a decent day together. Got talking to a local there and he was telling us the lake has been off most of the summer so we felt good about the day we had after that. The zebra mussels in the lake sure has cleared the water up. Saw lots of sunfish and perch all day so it seems like the lake is healthy and thriving though.
Thanks to my great supporters Deep River Outfitters, Shimano Canada and Hunters Bay Marine.
Nyarlathotep
Participant
Participant

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Thanks for this update; there's some useful info on fishing Clayton in this thread.
BoosterMcCall
Participant
Participant

Post by BoosterMcCall »

Yeah, sorry. I should have mentioned that you need to look at the sonar view on Navionics.
Glad you had a good day on the water and got some fish. Been there a couple of times, and for me it seems either they're biting on Clayton, or they're biting on Taylor. Never both :) Nice lake though with plenty of features.
Tweed
Participant
Participant

Post by Tweed »

I have an older map of Clayton. Not sure how accurate it still is but I'm happy to share

https://imgur.com/a/4PGNWZ5

Hopefully the link works. Good luck !
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

I used to fish Clayton and Taylor Lakes a lot in open water and hard water. My knowledge may be dated since I moved away in 2008, but there is rim formed on Clayton that extends on the north and eastern side of the lake. The rim is a drop off ledge you can find with your depthfinder and mark with float markers. Sometimes the best fishing is at the top of the dropoff, especially when cabbage weeds are present and other times it best along the slope of the dropoff; parallel casting works best here. During low-light periods the Crappie move into the rim area along with several other species. I'm sure the pattern still holds true! Good Luck!

Jeff
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

I used to fish Clayton and Taylor Lakes a lot in open water and hard water. My knowledge may be dated since I moved away in 2008, but there is rim formed on Clayton that extends on the north and eastern side of the lake. The rim is a drop off ledge you can find with your depthfinder and mark with float markers. Sometimes the best fishing is at the top of the dropoff, especially when cabbage weeds are present and other times it's best along the slope of the dropoff; parallel casting works best here. During low-light periods the Crappie move into the rim area along with several other species. I'm sure the pattern still holds true! Good Luck!

Jeff
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Tweed wrote:I have an older map of Clayton. Not sure how accurate it still is but I'm happy to share

https://imgur.com/a/4PGNWZ5
Hopefully the link works. Good luck !
Yea it still works and is far more accurate than Navionics when it comes to showing where the the deep water is.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter