Good time fishing lure?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Lakerchaser
Participant
Participant

Good time fishing lure?

Post by Lakerchaser »

I've been poking around some of the fish-hawk threads for a while and figured I better log in and tell some fishing lies instead of just reading them all. As a kid I remember reading threads that would go on and on but looking at the home page a topic with 10 replys looks like a good one! So with any luck, this thread can strike up a conversation, inspire someone to try something new, or dig that lure out of their tackle box and give it a try.

I'm wondering what is your favourite lure to catch a fish on these days? It may not be the lure that catches the most fish, but the lure that when a fish bites it gets you the most excited? For me I'm torn between two. First is the Zara Spook. I've had one in my tacklebox for years, never used it until one day the fishing was so bad I thought it can't get worse and tied one on. Shortly after it got better. A little one pound bass exploded the survace and took the spook. I thought to myself "I can't believe that worked!" I've had continued success with that lure and often find myself tying it on when I'm looking for some excitement. Second would have to be a plain old 3 inch curly tail fished under a slip bobber for crappie. The excitement when you see the bobber dip under and float back up sideways, or just slowly start moving across the surface always seems to get me. Hooksets are usually instinctive when fishing without a bobber but with this you have to wait those long two seconds for the fish to actually take the bait before you wind up and set the hook. It's more the bobber and the delayed hook set than the lure that is exciting but it is still one of my favourite set ups.

So lets hear it, what's your good time fishing lure?
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Good time fishing lure?

Post by BigC »

A week with no replies, times have changed for sure.

Just spent a week fishing everyday and even with a full tacklebox and thousands of dollars in lures I barely changed my set-ups. I said I was going to, wanted to but just knew eventually what I was using would work so I just kept doing the same thing.

Wacky rig senko - usually some pumkin combo
Skitter popper - topwater action at night

Northam spinnerbait - white with red tips for pike
Since I had the leader on this rod I did occasionally change it up to a white spinner bait with no red. LOL

Brought the kids out with me a couple times and I'm telling you hands down worms and a bobber by far won the week. Pannies, smallies and cats just kept coming over the side. So even though I never use them, probably right up there as one of my favorites.

Thanks for trying :)
jp95
Participant
Participant

Re: Good time fishing lure?

Post by jp95 »

For bass - Z-man molted craw tube (2.5 inch) on a z-man shroomz 1/15 oz jig head. This rig is called a ned rig. It plain catches fish.

Little cleo spoons are quite good for trout/salmon.

Blue fox spinners are another good multi species lure.