2019 Ice season, Shirley's bay

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: 2019 Ice season, Shirley's bay

Post by CCLad »

Good job. Glad to see some numbers and some decent fish coming up!
CCLad.
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

Hey! Just a heads up, was out there this afternoon and wind has blown in the once nicely plowed road. Pretty messy out there and some big snow drifts.

Good to hear someone is catching out there though, we haven’t had the greatest success out on the bay this year so far.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Hope everyone's shacks are ok after yesterday's winds......that was brutal!! :shock: :o :shock: :(
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
canam04
Participant
Participant

Post by canam04 »

Was out Friday night and there were two shacks that blew over. Is was crazy winds out there.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I am hoping that the slush keeps tightening up on the bay. As an update, it is now easy to walk and the skidoos and ATV's are doing well.

A few days ago someone tried to go out with a truck and was stuck in the slush for several hours.

It feels like it might be firm enough for a truck now... but I don't have the jewels to try it myself LOL.
grizz
Participant
Participant

Post by grizz »

Lots of slush out there. Was on the bay yesterday with my sled making a path to my friends shack. And I would not take a quad or a truck out. Some deep drifts with knee deep slush under it. If someone does try to drive out make sure you have a very long rope to be pulled out.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

grizz wrote:Lots of slush out there. Was on the bay yesterday with my sled making a path to my friends shack. And I would not take a quad or a truck out. Some deep drifts with knee deep slush under it. If someone does try to drive out make sure you have a very long rope to be pulled out.
Yeah, I got out there today too, I was surprised that the ice at the shore and even going 200 ft into the snow beyond the launch is very stable, it gives you a false sense of security. Totally agree about the deep slush farther out, kinda the opposite of what we usually see. However, I also noted that today they spread a bunch of salt on the parking lot (they are not meant to!) so that might degrade the ramp a lot with the rain coming.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Thanks Skarkner,. The slush where we are located has solidified to ice. We are going to move the hut (in the same area) as the present spot seems to have slowed down on the production front the past 2 outings - (Just after I told you we were doing well.. the fishing shut down lol)
Good fishing and No more snow please....
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

CCLad wrote:Thanks Skarkner,. The slush where we are located has solidified to ice. We are going to move the hut (in the same area) as the present spot seems to have slowed down on the production front the past 2 outings - (Just after I told you we were doing well.. the fishing shut down lol)
Good fishing and No more snow please....
The spot I am on SUCKS. I wish I could move my trailer!!! Too much slush around it I think.

I am going portable this weekend, fishing anywhere except Shirleys LOL.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Shirleys Bay looked good after the wind storm - didn't see any damaged huts. You can ALMOST drive on the bay again!

In fact, someone with a better truck than mine probably could LOL.

I also dug down in a few spots, only found a bit of slush (2 inches of thick stuff, not water) here and there. Ruts made by previous attempts with the trucks are frozen utterly solid.

Walking is a breeze, snow is heavily packed. ATV's shouldn't have a problem anymore either.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Excellent. -21C, -18C and -17C for the next 3 nights. Slush will be gone in a couple days....
:text-yeahthat:
Piscivore
Participant
Participant

Post by Piscivore »

Saturday morning I walked about a kilometer west of Brittania and fished the edge of a shoal. The fishing was slow, just one sauger. But, the walk was exhausting. It felt like 10 km, not 1. Lots of slush and puddles under the snow and deep drifts in spots. I never knew when I'd break through the crust or not. There is lots of ice, more than my ladle is long, but it was wet and there were more than one layer of ice. I drilled a bunch of holes but I only saw one other interested fish on my sonar and I blew that chance :?
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Piscivore wrote:Saturday morning I walked about a kilometer west of Brittania and fished the edge of a shoal. The fishing was slow, just one sauger. But, the walk was exhausting. It felt like 10 km, not 1. Lots of slush and puddles under the snow and deep drifts in spots. I never knew when I'd break through the crust or not. There is lots of ice, more than my ladle is long, but it was wet and there were more than one layer of ice. I drilled a bunch of holes but I only saw one other interested fish on my sonar and I blew that chance :?
You walked 1km out from Britania park?
That is a very dangerous area with unstable currents. I have gone from 12 inches of ice to 2 in that area within 3-paces. That was maybe 100 meters off shore during a very very cold winter a few years ago.

Not criticising, just saying "be safe".
Piscivore
Participant
Participant

Post by Piscivore »

I walked west of Brittania, more out from the Nepean sailing club. I stay South of the current and take my time, checking the ice as I go. The shoals I was talking about are only two feet below the surface and they deflect the main chanel. But you are right, thanks for your concern.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Apparently, pretty much every fish in Lac Duschenes has left on a vacation somewhere lol... Toughest year of fishing numbers wise I can remember....