2019 Ice season, Shirley's bay

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: 2019 Ice season, Shirley's bay

Post by CCLad »

Piscivore wrote:I went fishing this afternoon at Shirley's bay. There is now Six inches of sound ice in the bay. Skirt the middle of the boat ramp as there is a soft spot there. I didn't see any other bads spots, at least anywhere near me. I walked half a kilometer straight out from the launch to a spot nine feet deep. The fish were biting, caught several perch in the afternoon, a bunch of small walleye at dusk and one burbot just before I headed home. There were another three guys already there.

Thanks for the update. Stay safe folk's!
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Any updates on the ice? Thanks!
Cy
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Ice report: 5-6 inches 1 kilometer out. fished 9.5 feet of water, marked 2 fish and caught 1 walleye around 13 inches.

Caution, weather doesnt look good for tomorrow, river ice can change rapidly from heavy rain so be careful if you venture out tomorrow!
Cy
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

Thanks for the update Cyrus. I’m off between now and New Years if anyone wants a fishing partner give me a shout! Minnows on me. I have a flasher but not many friends that ice fish. Might venture out tomorrow evening depending on the weather.
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

Hey guys,

Took a quick swing around Shirley’s Tuesday. There were a half dozen shacks out there 400m or so, and two mid size trucks directly out from the ramp. Was in a rush so didn’t have time to go out and check the ice myself, anybody have an ice thickness report??

Thanks!!
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

We are out about 400 yards to the north east of the launch and have a good 10-11 inches of ice there.
cjohnson@tj5.ca
Participant
Participant

Post by cjohnson@tj5.ca »

Hey everyone! I am new to this site and to Shirleys Bay Ice fishing....last year I invested in a pop-up tent and equipment (no electronics yet). I loved ice fishing so much that I invested in a trailer this year. Last year I fished Buckhams Bay mostly. This year I wanted to set up closer to home hence Shirleys Bay. Would love to get to know people there and get some help pointers. Yesterday was my first day out and I got 1 small perch...
I was sitting in the trailer and assumed I had thought of everything...registered the hut, wood stove, prepped interior, set it up on the ice and started but then it dawned on me - how do I get to the trailer later as snow starts building up? Stupid question but something I simply hadn't thought of..LOL.
Also - minnows? Where do people get them around here. Lastly, am I in a good spot? I am the all-silver old trailer with the black door.
Stop by anytime for a chat.....
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Shoot me a PM (Private message) and I will be happy to share what info I have.
Cheers CCLad
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

cjohnson@tj5.ca wrote: how do I get to the trailer later as snow starts building up? Stupid question but something I simply hadn't thought of..LOL......
You now need a 4x4 truck with a plow. Wife will understand.... and if not, at least you have a trailer to sleep in. ;)
Kidding... walk out or sled, or someone with a plow may just push past.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Hey all, hows the season going thus far? Hittin em? Missing em?? WE haven't been out too much this year. ave 4 walleye an outing and all have been small. Just moved the hut WAAYYY out, not as far as I want to take it, but far enough for now... There's 12 inches of solid clear ice where we are set up.
Pickerel Boy Senior
Participant
Participant

Post by Pickerel Boy Senior »

Hi CCLad

Been a little slow on the bite, few small pickerel last time out in the evening, not many perch during the day. Moved the shack further out Sunday in 12-13 ft of water, hope to see more fish soon

Thanks again for this post you do, always look forward to it. Will respond more now my account is working

Good luck, see your out on the ice
cjohnson@tj5.ca
Participant
Participant

Post by cjohnson@tj5.ca »

Thanks for the feedback guys! I am kind of a newbie but really enjoying my little trailer! BTW, who is plowing the entrance? I am offering a case of beer for you of your choosing....I will be at my silver trailer with the black door most of next week in the late afternoon.
Let me know and then come by for your beer!

All the best..good luck fishing.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Pickerel Boy Senior wrote:Hi CCLad

Been a little slow on the bite, few small pickerel last time out in the evening, not many perch during the day. Moved the shack further out Sunday in 12-13 ft of water, hope to see more fish soon

Thanks again for this post you do, always look forward to it. Will respond more now my account is working

Good luck, see your out on the ice

Hey buddy, good seeing you again, thx for stopping by the hut. We are well out now. I didnt go as far out as Im going to. Going to wait for a bit more ice out there... We are on 12- 13 inches where we are... All the walleye we are catching are small so far. And it seems they are biting between an hour before sun set to sun set then shutting down.. kinda odd for the bay.

Good luck stop by again soon.
Pickerel Boy Senior
Participant
Participant

Post by Pickerel Boy Senior »

You are bang on with the bite. Was out tonight and caught two very small pickerel between 4-5 pm, then nada for the rest of the night, although had a great evening with the young fella and he makes a great Chile
Crazy wind until around 5.30pm then it slowed down and was a nice evening

Chat soon, Thanks
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

CCLad wrote: Hey buddy, good seeing you again, thx for stopping by the hut. We are well out now. I didnt go as far out as Im going to. Going to wait for a bit more ice out there... We are on 12- 13 inches where we are... All the walleye we are catching are small so far. And it seems they are biting between an hour before sun set to sun set then shutting down.. kinda odd for the bay. Good luck stop by again soon.
Hey Tim, that sounds more like mid February type of activity where all you pick up are small jacks for a while. Never seen that in January. Have you tried putting a deep line out? The bigger girls still come into the bay, just later I figure, but then how much later can be a guess. My best out there ever was like around 8:30, that was a late night, most often 7 was cut off time, but it was a special night for me and wifey as we had a sitter that night. Caught my biggest Ling there ever too about three minutes before, I almost didn't rebait. Pretty sure you're not one to leave early.
Location can make a big difference too of course, how much ice is there where you want to go? We're into a good cold snap again.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter