The Value of Large Walleye

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Still Chasing
Participant
Participant

Re: The Value of Large Walleye

Post by Still Chasing »

It is shocking to listen to some of the old timers (with respect) on how great the walleye fisheries use to be. Also could someone set me straight on what appears to be such an abundance of walleye fisheries in the USA like Michigan and Minnesota. It seems that they have a jump on us in their stocking programs. Also they seem to fish during spawning times as well and still they have an abundance of fish. Why. Please educate me. Thanks
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Interesting fishing last night on Mississippi Lake. I had a group out for Bass throwing Senkos, cranks and Ned rigs. We caught more Walleye than Largemouth! A few in the slot and a few under the slot. It was great to see!

We did absolutely whack on the Smallies though, man has that lake changed over the years!

RJ
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

Still Chasing wrote:It is shocking to listen to some of the old timers (with respect) on how great the walleye fisheries use to be. Also could someone set me straight on what appears to be such an abundance of walleye fisheries in the USA like Michigan and Minnesota. It seems that they have a jump on us in their stocking programs. Also they seem to fish during spawning times as well and still they have an abundance of fish. Why. Please educate me. Thanks
I remember awesome walleye fishing in the 80-90's. No problem catching lots at Black Rapids, Galletta, Fitzroy, Constance Bay, Shirley's Bay.. opening week, then usual lull ( shad flies) and then back on again. FMZ 18 lakes like Christie, Dalhousie, Bob's were good too. Mississippi has always been a gem. The massive schools of walleye are not there any more. Fitzroy, Constance Creek Mouth, End of Buckham's, Black Rapids, Chenaux, even Rolphton.. don't get the big spawning schools like they use to. Thank god there's minor spawning groups at less popular locations that still have successful spawns. It use to be a sign if you are catching black crappie, crappie are taking over the walleye nursey. Yes, we often hear on In-Fisherman the walleye fishing is the best it's ever been. There were lakes in Minnesota that were closed for 5 YEARS to walleye fishing. Pretty drastic measures to nurse a collapsed walleye population back to health. Am sure cottagers on Mississippi etc would be thrilled to have walleye fishing closed for 5 years. The States did some tough measures and are now getting rewarded. Lake Mille Lacs is still catch and release only. There use to be lots of walleye stocking in FMZ 18 lakes 20-30 years ago, but MNR figures stockers do not spawn and better to help habitat for local fish to have successful spawn.( I agree ) Still lots of great walleye fishing more north. Also zone 19 ( eire/ Detroit river ) very prolific, open all year. Saying Ontario still has awesome walleye fishing, just may have to travel some from FMZ 18 . Brent
Snag or Fish , Weed or Fish , Oh Fish On
67ZL1
Participant
Participant

Post by 67ZL1 »

I’m the firm believer that the Americans have adapted to the changes with the water clarity and invasive species, whereas we keep on doing the same techniques that our elders have taught us. Also I believe that since the introduction of Zebra Mussels there have been a few generations of anglers that haven’t targeted walleyes in FMZ18.