Loughborough Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Still Chasing
Participant
Participant

Loughborough Lake

Post by Still Chasing »

I have never fished in this lake before. I understand it has both small mouth and large mouth bass. I see the lake has two quite different
depth features. Which end of the lake (northeast or southwest) would I have the best chance at catching both species. Would the launch near the bridge be the best one to use. Any other information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Loughborough Lake

Post by Doug »

Yes, you will want to launch at the Perth Road bridge. Parking is at a premium on weekends and holidays so get there early. The ramp itself is at an oddball angle to the parking lot so make sure you know FIRST where you want your boat trailer to go!!! It can be very busy with multiple boats wanting to launch and recover so plan to work around this.

MOST bass fishing is in the east half, but there are absolutely bass of both species in both basins. If you decide to fish the west basin, plan to use your graph more, but in the east basin there are plenty of shoals, islands, shoreline, and other structure and pretty much if it looks fishy there will be bass there.

There is not a lot of vegetation/slop on Loughborough, so if you like fishing that kind of stuff this is not the lake for you. Water clarity is pretty good because of zebra mussels, and my personal suggestion is to use finesse techniques and relatively light line. I normally use 6 lb fluorocarbon.

HTH

Doug
Splake_Hunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Loughborough Lake

Post by Splake_Hunter »

Doug nailed it down for you pretty good there. It's a shoal lake and there's lots of them, some not on Navionics, so be careful. But fish the shoals, both species relate to them. You won't catch many giants, but they are in there. However, you'll do good for numbers. I'd focus on the east half for bass, likely to have more success.