Little Rideau Walleye

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
67ZL1
Participant
Participant

Little Rideau Walleye

Post by 67ZL1 »

How’s the Little Rideau doing these days in regards to the walleye population? I’ve been away from the area for 20 years and the wife and I are looking at buying a cottage in the area. Wolfe lake is on our list also. Any other suggestions?
Still Chasing
Participant
Participant

Re: Little Rideau Walleye

Post by Still Chasing »

There was a thread here sometime ago that said basically walleyes are generally not targeted west of Buritts rapids on the Rideau system. That will give you some idea.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

There are Walleye in the Little Rideau, 100% yes. Thru the stocking they have done over the years, no evidence of reproduction so you'd be bumping into "over" the limit sized fish. Recent netting surveys proved this that they trapped only 2 year classes of fish that happen to be those that they stocked.

RJ
67ZL1
Participant
Participant

Post by 67ZL1 »

RJ wrote:There are Walleye in the Little Rideau, 100% yes. Thru the stocking they have done over the years, no evidence of reproduction so you'd be bumping into "over" the limit sized fish. Recent netting surveys proved this that they trapped only 2 year classes of fish that happen to be those that they stocked.

RJ
Hey RJ, where can someone find the latest netting results? I did a quick search while back and could only find stuff from like 8-13 years ago. You got me curious about the year class thing...
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Likely not posted online, I was privy to the results at the FMZ18 management meeting. This was done last Fall I believe. Without a doubt all that was there was stockers.

RJ
chaser
Participant
Participant

Post by chaser »

Nice that certain people can get information on the areas fishing
tr21chris
Participant
Participant

Post by tr21chris »

That's interesting RJ, as I have watched Walleye (at least I think they were spawning) in Westport at 2 different locations, below the old mill and another small creek up the street in April. I used to catch them at Narrows Locks on opening weekend, likely 10 years ago.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

That's the concern. They think they are spawning but the fry have to pass a huge gauntlet of panfish to get to deep water to start their lives. Apparently none are making it.

RJ
tr21chris
Participant
Participant

Post by tr21chris »

Definitely makes sense bud.
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

chaser wrote:Nice that certain people can get information on the areas fishing
Check your weather network app and you'll be provided with daytime highs & lows, wind direction/speed, possibility of precipitation and sunrise/sunset times. Volunteer for the weather network and you may be privy to adiabatic lapse rate data and asked to analyze short waves in an active weather pattern.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Thanks Sean.. :lol:

RJ
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »