Stocked brook trout report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Nyarlathotep
Participant
Participant

Stocked brook trout report

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Went last weekend and hiked into a small lake near Whitney. Fished by casting from shore using a rig consisting of a small Mustad UltraPoint Slow Death hook tipped with medium sized earthworms and a small split shot sinker. Caught my limit of 2017 year class stocked brook trout (average wt. about 1 lb. each) in short order. There were lots of lightning-struck deadfalls in this area. I think that this will be it for my spring trout fishing this year, and will probably try for lakers and/or splake with leadcore later this summer.
Attachments
20180520_122240.jpg
20180520_122240.jpg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 5258 times
20180520_113528.jpg
20180520_113528.jpg (4.95 MiB) Viewed 5258 times
Fishooz
Participant
Participant

Re: Stocked brook trout report

Post by Fishooz »

any other info about the lake?
Nyarlathotep
Participant
Participant

Post by Nyarlathotep »

-It is stocked by the Bancroft District MNR every 2 years
-It, and several other nearby trout-stocked lakes, can be found on Fish ON-Line
-It is accessed by Major Lake Rd, from Hwy 60 in Madawaska, but the connections (abandoned logging roads and trails) from Major Lake Rd to the lake mean that you will need a 4x4 or ATV and have to walk 200 m (most of the stocked lakes in that area are like this)
-If you decide to explore this area, please make sure you bring a spare tire or 2 for your vehicle(s), and use GPS maps for navigation (not Google Maps or the print backroad mapbooks - they're alright for locating lakes and streams, but not getting to them)
-The lake will be fished out by ice fishermen by the end of January when it becomes accessible to snowmobilers this coming winter, and won't have any more trout until it's restocked by the MNR
Last edited by Nyarlathotep on Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Cool! nice day out.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

They're such beautiful fish. You found yourself a great spot.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
loophole
Participant
Participant

Post by loophole »

I have used the on line search site quite a bit over the past few years. One thing I've discovered is that it appears the vast majority of lakes the Ministry stocks with brook trout cannot be reached on foot. No ATV = no fishing for brookies. pee pee me off. There are some exceptions but not that many. A perfect example is Peterwhite lake near Hwy 511. I asked the Ministry to stop putting fish in it as it is essentially a private lake. There are 3 cottages on it. The Ministry told me to use the logging road to get there. I think it's something like 15 kms overland.

If anyone knows of lakes I should consider fishing in zone 18 please let me know.