Shore fishing for Crappie . . .

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Shore fishing for Crappie . . .

Post by NMG »

Hi everyone,

Would anyone happen to know of any spots fairly close to Ottawa (say within an hour) where a guy would have a reasonable shot at getting into some Crappie from shore? My son would like to try his luck out, but we're going to be shore bound!

Thanks for any info you're willing to share!
highlander
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Shore fishing for Crappie . . .

Post by highlander »

early season you can try for panfish off the lower dock at long island lock. pretty accessible.
Tonyb
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tonyb »

White Lake at the outlet, small controlled outlet, just off shore.
go to the town, turn right and you will come to the little bridge with the creek flowing under. That is the spot, on the lake there.
The bigger, the better!
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

Carleton Place, the west shore under the bridge that spans the Mississippi River on highway 7.
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

Thanks for the tips folks, much appreciated!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Follow the Rideau, and consider every lock and creek all the way to Smith's Falls if you want. This time of year they will all be busy, but if the fish are in it's lots of fun. My 34 year old daughter just recently commented on one particular great day trip we went on over 20 years ago with a crew of the gang. Both my girls were there, 3 vehicles. We had two barbecues going under the bridge with sausage and burgs and all the fixins. We had good music playing on the blaster. The Crappie were biting all day and it was beauty weather. Great times for sure and precious memories.
Good luck with your lad tomorrow. If it doesn't work out for you shoot me a pm and I'll help you out with some spots...
I know it's kinda late to respond now but if you read this make sure to use light ~4# line with your your lines and real light jigs, even if it's only a 2 or 3 ft leader on heavier line. It can make all the difference to catching fish even when they are aggressive.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Ninja Boot
Participant
Participant

Post by Ninja Boot »

Take the extra drive and just go to Bob's Lake - you will be floored what you'll find in there crappie wise!
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

Thanks smitty55! We weren't able to get out this past weekend, but we're on for this weekend and I'll post an update to let everyone know how we did :)

Ninja Boot, we're going to be shore bound so I assume that Bob's Lake wouldn't be that great of an option?
Ninja Boot
Participant
Participant

Post by Ninja Boot »

There are plenty of shore spots on Bob's - you won't be disappointed!