Question: What should I do if the pike follows the lure...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
someone
Participant
Participant

Question: What should I do if the pike follows the lure...

Post by someone »

Last Saturday I saw twice the pikes followed the lure to the side of my boat, then ran away.

What I could do in such kind of situation?

Thanks!

Mike
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Keep throwin....try a retrieve and pause....retrieve and pause.. or even a little jerk action..
What kind of Lure?
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

You haven'tentioned what type lure you were using but, one thing I usually do is, since I generally use grubs or top water lures, I keep a second rod rigged and ready with a spinnerbait. I learned this lesson years ago when out with a buddy. He had a follow, right to the boat by a nice Muskie, figure 8'ed it, nothing. Just couldn't get the thing interested. He then takes his second rod, quickly clipped on the spinner bait, second cast.....48" Muskie.

I do it most times I'm out now for Pickerel. Follows are pretty common, either large Pike or Muskie.
Last edited by Wall-I-Guy on Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

People have preached the figure 8 to me. I saw muskimagnet do it ones with no success. I troll for pike, so I never experience this.
someone
Participant
Participant

Post by someone »

it's a leaf blades. I thought it was for bass though.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Spinners will attract many different Species....
Try to chang up your retrieve....fast and slow...maybe a pause her and there...add some rubber for a trailer for contrast....many thing you can try!!
someone
Participant
Participant

Post by someone »

Thanks!

I start using artificial lures this summer, and still practise.

I read some postings here about Appleton, is it a good place for shore fishing? because I don't have boat yet.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

I don't see alot of access ther buy shore..maybe someone else knows of a spot....
Where ya located maybe I can take ya out someday
someone
Participant
Participant

Post by someone »

I live in Kanata, usually we go to Clayton Lake to rent a boat. Recently, we virtually got nothing (except the pikes followed the lure. :-) ), so I'm wondering if we can find some other places not too far away.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

Appleton....no boats to rent though...
Mississippi, Clayton...the Ottawa....
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

someone wrote:I live in Kanata, usually we go to Clayton Lake to rent a boat. Recently, we virtually got nothing (except the pikes followed the lure. :-) ), so I'm wondering if we can find some other places not too far away.
Constance Lake near Dunrobin: pike, bass, panfish and boat rentals.
goudieb
Participant
Participant

Post by goudieb »

Some of the campgrounds on Mississippy lake rent boats too.

In the village of Appleton, the Mississippi river runs right through it beside the road, so you should be able to fish from the shore anywhere along there, also near the damn in Appleton. Just walk around and find a suiteable place to drop your line.

/Brian
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Try to quickly throw another type of lure for just a cast or two. Pick something with maybe a slower or more spastic presentation. :? :wink:
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

I tend to see this happen a lot on the st. lawrence where the water is very clear.. Once the pike see the boat they dissappear. I generally use a suspending rapala so that i can bring it fairly close to the boat and if anything is following i can stop the lure and twitch it slightly which more often than not means a fish in the boat than watching one bolt off.

I agree with marcus though i can't say i've ever had much luck with figure-8 but it doesn't hurt to try.
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by tallpaul »

now, this isn't necessarily what you should do, but only what I usually do...

As I'm reeling in my lure and see a fish, I usually yell to my buddy... "look, Look, LOOK!". If my yelling doesn't scare it away, then my buddy trying to see what I'm hollering about usually does. :oops:
Sure, I hardly ever get the fish, but otherwise, I would tell them about what I saw, and I don't know why, but no one ever believes me. :P :roll: