big rideau water levels at boat launches

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
bassman40
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

big rideau water levels at boat launches

Post by bassman40 »

Planning to visit the Big R for a day but heard thru the grapevine that the water levels are so low that the conservation launch and Beveridge locks are un-usable!
Hard to imagine as its only September 2nd!!
Can anyone confirm this.
alternative ramp is Rideau ferry harbour I guess????
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: big rideau water levels at boat launches

Post by lape0019 »

I was there last week and used the launch at the conservation area. It is definitely low but we were able to launch a Triton TR-186 without issue.

we used the trolling motor to get out to the channel.
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

Water is quite low but I had no problems launching or recovering my 17 1/2ft. boat at Poonamalie last Saturday.

Good luck,
Drop
Dobyns Army member
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

Does ramp at Rideau Valley Conservation Area - Boat Launch charge a fee or you can park at the end of Yatch club road to avoid the fee? If we have to go to Rideau ferry harbour how much they charge?

Thanks,
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

It's like $6.00 to launch and park.

Just as a heads up, BAA just sent us an email stating they are moving our September 10 classic from the conservation area to the Rideau ferry Marina launch.

So it must be pretty low.
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

I think John charges $12 at the marina,usually by end of august I have no choice, but to give up the yacht club ramp, because by the time i get 21' of boat and trailer far into the lake,my truck is in the water,then there is the rock wall, to get around/through to get into the lower lake at that ramp,just a hassle for larger boats,easier to pay john,his ramp is narrow,but deep.gotta' pay attn. to where your trailer wheels are,you can get cockeyed quick.I know when I go to RJ's tourney in Oct., everybody pretty much uses the marina.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

If I could get a dollar for every time I hear about BR water levels in the next 5 weeks I'd be rich.. :lol:

RJ
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

I launched today at the free public launch in Portland. 17.5 foot boat. I got in and out but it was not easy and I sat 30 yards out for 20 minutes watching this dude trying to get his boat out.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Launched beside the Galley in Portland yesterday. Zero issue for the big Lund.

RJ
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OntarioRider »

RJ wrote:Launched beside the Galley in Portland yesterday. Zero issue for the big Lund.

RJ
Where is that RJ?

Each fall I get frustrated with the Yacht Club launch. It seems to occur earlier each year that they drop the water level. This year is exceptionally low due to drought like conditions.

I launched my 1700 Lund deep vee at the free launch in Portland yesterday with no issues. The biggest issue I find there is on weekends when people park in lot and make it hard to turn around so you are forced to back in off the highway.

I launched at Murphy's Point PP on Friday and Monday. No issues there if you are early. The parking lot is small and the overflow is quite a distance away. Leaving gear unattended for the duration of the walk back to the launch does not sit well with me .. especially after reading the theft reports around the region.

Now that lake trout is almost done for the season I will set my sight on other lakes and try for walleye.
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

Is this the free public launch in Portland? Thanks.
RJ wrote:Launched beside the Galley in Portland yesterday. Zero issue for the big Lund.

RJ
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

There are three free launches in Portland.

The one you hit as you come into town with the parking right up against the road.

Next one is up by the boathouses, I've never used it but I see trucks parked at the small parking area East of it so I assume they have launched there.

Lastly is the one right in town beside The Galley restaurant. Google Map the restaurant. The ramp is right beside it. There is no parking lot so you park on the street somewhere. Great food at the Galley too.

Headed there today for my last Laker booking of the year as it closes today.

RJ
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

Tried launching a 19' bass boat yesterday at the conservation launch with a Toyota FJ. No dice. Water was coming in the back hatch of the FJ and nearly the front doors... and the boat still wasn't in deep enough to float! Wasted $6.

Pulled it out and went to the harbour - no issues at all. $12/launch.