Trout fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Trout fishing

Post by Walker »

I would like to try trout fishing this year,so I was wondering where are there good spots to fish them.Either side of the Ottawa.Not looking for honey holes,Just bodies of water,rivers or lakes.

Thanks in advance

Mark
As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Trout fishing

Post by jsdx »

Well, depends on what kind of trout. Here are some well known places but I can't comment on water levels --- could be very low in some places.

anyhow ...

So, lakers - down riggers or jigging - Big Rideau, Charleston, Muskrat -- all close - but you need a boat. Downriggers are good but you can jig them (even better) if you can stay vertical for jigging deep.

if you want brookies --- algonquin park is always my choice - but you need to canoe -- accessible in the highway 60 corridor are some easyto get to lakes if you can paddle and portage. The further from the access you go, the better the fishing (and privacy).

for quebec -- and pretty much guaranteed -- try Réserve faunique de Papineau-Labelle which does cost $$$ for a day pass and fishing (they have boats) but the fishing for trout is great and you will limit out. Not all the lakes are open as they manage for quality so once a lake has been fished to a certain level, they close the lake for the year. You'd have to call. Beauty place. You can also camp etc.

You can also go online http://www.web2.mnr.gov.on.ca/fish_onli ... er_en.html select fish species and distance from where you are and you can find all the ontario lakes that have the species you want within that distance... Many Calabogie lakes have brook or splake or rainbows and it's an easy drive from Ottawa. Fishing can be great or very very sad :) Not sure what summer fishing will be like in this heat but worth a try. Especially no bugs around it seems.

and if you're in the mood for a road trip -- try steelhead or lake ontario trout you can them in tribs north lake ontario (Ganaraska , Wilmot etc) but water will likely be low but downtown port hope can be a hoot when the fish are running.
or
NY State -- Pulaski for river fishing, and Adirondacks for trout - see online for the NY fishing guide ... You can go to lake placid for the weekend and fish the Ausable for browns... Only 3 hrs away. I've done fall on the ausable where the water is cool (as is the weather) and it's way fun.

Hope this helps
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Trout fishing

Post by almontefisher »

It will be hard to pull this info from people as trout lakes are a special place for most. You can google trout stocking Eastern Ontario and it will pull up most lakes in the area with trout but like the other poster said it all depends on what species of trout you are looking for. In the calabogie area alone I can think of 50 lakes with trout.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL